5 Simple Ways to Make Eating Healthy Easy and Enjoyable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.
Use Social Media to Your Advantage 

On just Instagram alone, there are millions of people who have dedicated their accounts to sharing nourishing recipes and tips on how to create a healthier lifestyle. 

Go on social media right now and find influencers- or anyone who posts about food, and save some healthy recipes that stand out to you. This can help you find a variety of meals that you otherwise wouldn’t have thought to cook yourself. Also- don’t be afraid to tailor recipes to fit your dietary needs or to simplify recipes to make it easier on yourself!

Create a Continuous Grocery Shopping List on your Phone 

This tip is a huge time saver! Instead of spending an hour each week writing down everything you need to buy before going to the store, use the notes app on your phone to create a continuous shopping list. As soon as you run out of an ingredient- jot it down on your virtual list so you don’t forget to buy it when you eventually go to the grocery store. This list is especially helpful if you share food with roommates because you can use the share feature in the notes app to collectively add to the list. Lastly, you can also use this list as a space to save recipes so you have all the ingredients you need in one spot. 

When In Doubt… Choose Real, Whole Foods 

As mentioned before, there are millions of food bloggers on just Instagram alone sharing recipes and tips on how to eat healthier. While the abundance of food bloggers and health accounts can be inspiring, they can also be quite overwhelming and confusing. Everyone has an opinion about what you should and should not be eating, but how do you know who to trust? The simplest way to process this information overload is to go back to the basics; real, whole foods! Whole foods are foods that have not been processed like fruits, veggies, legumes, nuts, seeds, etc. Eating healthy really doesn’t need to be complicated- that’s just what companies want you to think so they can get you to spend more money on fad-products. So when in doubt- just go back to the basics and fuel your body with real, whole foods.

Meal Prep (kind of) 

When a lot of people say “meal prep” they’re referring to choosing one day to cook the majority of their meals for the week. This version of meal prepping is similar but simplified. Cook one meal (usually dinner) at your normal time, but instead of cooking just one serving, double or triple the recipe so you can eat it throughout the week. This method allows you to have a prepped meal for multiple days of the week without the intimidation of traditional meal prepping. 

Take a Friend With You on Your Health Journey

Having someone with you on your health journey makes it so much more enjoyable! You can tag each other in recipes, cook meals together, bake healthy treats and celebrate your accomplishments with one another. 

Share this article with your BFF and use these five tips to embark on your health journey together! 

Sarah Peltz is a student at Michigan State University studying journalism and public relations. With a passion for health and wellness, Sarah enjoys working out, cooking, and simple acts of self-care.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.