rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

The 5 Different Types of Self Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

We live in the age of self-care. As women, we’ve seen a world that we’re supposed to take care of — i.e. families, children, etc. However, we need to take care of ourselves sometimes. We’re allowed to be selfish every once in a while. It doesn’t make us awful for taking time for ourselves and doing what we need to be fully functioning women.

Be With Friends

It’s hard to think about the bad things going on when you just spend a night with your favorite people. Whether you go out or stay in, a distraction from whatever is ailing you may be just the thing you need. Watch a few rom-coms with a glass of wine, or go bar hopping and dance your butt off. Whatever feels right to you, having friends by your side can make any plain evening amazing.

Make You Feel Pretty 

More than just an amazing song by lovely the band, making yourself feel pretty can change so much. So, pull out whatever makeup you have, and play with all the things you never use. As a kid, I used to play with makeup just for the sake of it. Now that it’s become a part of my daily routine, it’s lost all of the magic it once had. I recommend just having fun with it! No concern about whether it is perfect or even good. Paint your nails, dress up in your best outfits, and just be yourself. Then, take it all off, put on a face mask, and relax.

Music

Put on your favorite songs and dance and sing! Even if you can’t dance and your voice isn’t the best, belt out those notes and swing your hips to the music because this is a party just for you; no one can tell you that you don’t deserve it. I recommend Domino by Jessie J or Timber by Kesha for some throwback bops that put you in a dancey mood.

Be Alone 

Now, this may counteract my first point, but there are so many different types of people and I know, personally, that people can be draining. You know yourself best, and maybe staying home recharging with a nap or watching a movie is the best way for you to take care of yourself at this moment.

Harsh Self Care

It can’t all be facemasks and dance parties. Sometimes taking care of yourself is ugly. In these cases, you have to get up and get out of bed. You have to push yourself to your farthest limits. Get up and do your homework. Call a friend you trust to make sure you get your work done. Take a cold shower to wake yourself up. Do the thing you’re afraid of doing. If it doesn’t work out, there’s always another door to go through. You’ve got this!

This patch may be rough, but it can’t be that way forever. Take some time and take care of yourself. That assignment will be there when you get back, but for the moment, maybe it’s okay to take a break from reality. It’s time to kick back and relax because you deserve it.

She is a sophomore at Michigan State studying English. She has participated in many theatre endeavors throughout high school, and now that she is in college would like to expand her horizons.
Ananya is the President of Her Campus at Michigan State. She is majoring in Human Biology and minoring in Health Promotion, and post-graduation, she will be attending medical school! If she's not studying, you can find her watching TikToks or Grey's Anatomy!