5 Albums To Keep an Ear Out for in 2024

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

2023 was the year of all of our favorite artists coming back to town for live performances post-lockdown. 2024 seems to be the year for some of our favorite artists to make an appearance in our Spotify releases once again after a quick break. Some of these albums might take you on a trip down memory lane, because for me at least, most of these artists were a pinpoint in my childhood music taste. Here are a quick few albums to look forward to in the new year. 

1. Ariana Grande – Eternal Sunshine, March 8

As we all know, there has been some debate over Ariana Grande’s recent decisions – specifically pertaining to her latest single, “Yes, And?”. Grande’s last album, Positions, was released back in 2020. After releasing her previous album, Ariana Grande told her fans that she would be taking a break from music, most likely due to her debut as a judge and coach on The Voice for a few seasons. The 4-year-break has come to an end and I can’t wait to say thank you, next during the soundtrack of Eternal Sunshine

1. Lenny Kravitz – Blue Electric Light, March 15

Calling out all Guitar Hero rockers (and Hunger Game fans)! In October 2023, Kravitz released a sneak peek of his new album with the single “TK421” plus a single in December with Peggy Gou called “I Believe in Love Again.” His new album single gives a sense of funky jazz with a trumpet solo, so maybe this album will be more jazz-oriented than the usual electric guitar solo emphasis. The last album he released was Raise Vibration in 2018. This is an exciting time after 6 years for all Kravitz fans to go his way and listen to Blue Electric Light.

1. Usher – Coming Home, February 11

While there have been many singles and features with Usher the last few years, I can’t wait to call this next album my boo after not hearing any new music of Usher’s since I was about 10 years old. Many of his most popular songs are still favorites when it comes to being on the dance floor with our best friends. Something about the album being named Coming Home makes me have a sense that this will be Usher’s major comeback as a vital artist on the radio, like he was in the early 2010s. 

1. The Black Keys – Ohio Players, April 5

Even though they are finishing up their tour for their latest 2023 album, El Camino, The Black Keys are a very underrated rock duo in my opinion. Some of my favorites of theirs are “Lonely Boy,” “Weight of Love,” and “Gold on the Ceiling.” From Akron, Ohio, Dan Auerbach (guitarist/vocalist) and Patrick Carney (drummer) tend to have a certain garage-rock band theme and beat to each of their albums that have you humming it within two songs. Each guitar riff intro will have you get a tingling in your fingers that make you want to grab a guitar or tap to the beat on your steering wheel. I can’t wait to hear what else they come up with and see what songs I’ll be adding to my “songs that would go hard on guitar hero” playlist. 

1. Jennifer Lopez – This Is Me… Now, February 16

Jenny from the block will be telling who she is now after listening to who she was then in 2002. Her upcoming sister album of This Is Me… Then, will be released in February after her latest album was released as a movie soundtrack in 2022. She has recently came out with a single, “Can’t Get Enough,” from her new album that has a very fun, saucy energy. It’s safe to say that I can’t wait to get on the floor and dance the night away to J-Lo and all of my other favorite artists’ new releases!
With this year’s Super Bowl halftime show showcasing Usher and Jennifer Lopez adding onto a sister album, slowly but surely my generation’s childhood icons are making a comeback. This resurgence, along with newer artists coming out with albums, marks an exciting time for the music industry post-pandemic. Especially since last year was the first time live concerts were able to come back in full force, now it’s time for new music. Particularly noteworthy is Taylor Swift’s new album, The Tortured Poet’s Department, which will make the entire industry take a day off on April 19th. What else is coming our way, music lovers?

Elma Mehmedovic is a general staff writer at the Her Campus Michigan State chapter. Elma Mehmedovic is a senior at Michigan State University. She is a student at MSU's Eli Broad College of Business studying Marketing. She has previously worked at The State News as an advertising executive but decided to start somewhere new and try out reporting. Elma aspires to work somewhere abroad post-graduation in either marketing communication or research and analytics. In her free time, Elma enjoys going to the gym, watching MSU basketball, making new playlists, or playing Guitar Hero with her roommates. She loves spending time outdoors in nice weather and enjoys having quality time with friends and family. Outside of school, Elma's favorite hobbies are traveling, practicing photography and writing, and going to live music shows.