This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I have acne, and my skin is reminiscent of the surface of Mars. Red, with deep valleys (scars) and high mountains (pimples that just won’t leave). I use make-up that isn’t waterproof to reduce irritation on my skin when I remove the products from my face.

1. e.l.f. Hydrating Face Primer

This primer is a godsend. It is light, hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, and gives my face a smooth, even texture. It isn’t very chunky, and my concealer sits on it as perfectly as it does on bare skin.

2. Hydromaniac Glowy Tinted Hydrator Foundation

Not only is this foundation the PERFECT shade-match to my skin, it is also super hydrating. It has phenyl trimethicone that seals in the hydration and leaves a silky finish. While trimethicone is believed to clog pores, this product hasn’t adversely affected my skin.

3. L’oreal Voluminous Feline Liner Noir

This is a liquid eyeliner with a super long brush that allows you to make bold strokes. While this isn’t waterproof, it is super pigmented and stays on for up to 8 hours with no wear.

4. e.l.f. Studio Waterproof Lengthening & Volumizing Mascara – Black

This mascara is light, non-chunky and doesn’t make your eyelashes feel like cardboard. This also isn’t waterproof, but makes my eyelashes look at least an inch longer than they are, and does not irritate my eyes (big plus). It is also hypoallergenic and very easy to remove with little to no eyelashes falling out in the process.

Good make-up looks very different for people with different skin types and textures. If you’re unsure about what ingredients are good for your skin, refer to a dermatologist. Good make-up doesn’t have to be expensive. The only thing that matters is how your skin reacts to it and if you feel comfortable. Happy shopping!

Sanskriti is an undergraduate astrophysics major who loves to read and is very passionate about making and eating dumplings. She is the current Vice President of the Astronomy Club at Michigan State University, and can often be found hunting for new horror podcasts to listen to.