This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

The worst time of the semester is here: midterms. The constant stress and caffeinated bloodstreams are upon us college kids. If there’s anything I’ve learned, destressing is the key to success. Prioritizing yourself and your mental and physical well-being is so much more important than the grade you get on that 10 page research essay. So, in this article I’ll be sharing some of my tips and tricks to unwind. 

1. Breathe in, Breathe out, and Downward Dog

I know it’s cliche, but yoga really helps me after a stressful night studying. If you have been sitting at a desk for hours on end, it’s likely that your muscles have cramped up and now ache like a 85-year-old’s body. I suggest getting on YouTube and searching for a however-long-you-need yoga workout and move that body! The movement is good for your mind, body, and soul. 

1. Dance it out

I’m talking like Christina and Meredith from Grey’s Anatomy style here. Put on your favorite song(s) and dance your little heart out! Like I said before, movement is good for your body and mind. Plus, the disconnect from any school related work is essential to having a good dance party. 

1. Face mask, cucumbers, repeat

No one can perform their best if they aren’t feeling your best. And I guarantee your face will thank you for using a hydrating face mask after you have been planting your face into your palms for the past three hours. Whether it’s a homemade honey mask or a Himalayan clay mask, slather it all over your face and lay back and relax. This is your time to recharge and relax, don’t take it for granted! 

Midterm season can be a really stressful time for most college students. Just know that we’re all in this together. We need to take time for ourselves and not feel guilty about it. There is nothing wrong with taking an hour or two to recharge and reevaluate your study situation. I hope this helps ease this stressful time of the semester. I wish you good luck and happy studying! 

Gabriella is a sophomore at Michigan State University majoring in journalism. After she finishes her undergraduate degree, she hopes to take a year to travel and experience cultures before getting back into school for her master's degree. She hopes of one day becoming a food critic or a travel writer. She loves learning different recipes as well as staying on top of fashion's latest topics and pop culture moments.