books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

3 Things to Remember During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Finals week can seem like a battle of life and death. Test after test after test and each worth a good chunk of that final grade. In all reality, exam week is stressful, but there are ways to keep you and your mind from going insane. And the reward? Summer!

Sleep

Sleep seems like the last thing on our mind during finals week. I mean, who has time to sleep when we have five exams to cram for? Truth is, sleep is one of the most important things you can catch up on when trying to focus on passing exams. Studies say by getting the eight hours of recommended sleep a night, your brain can process the information you have studied and can help you remember and learn better than if you were to cram all night and then go right to the test. Sleep also gives your body and mind a chance to relax and recharge after a long hard day. The best way to be prepared to pass that test is to be well prepared and rested. So remember, study hard but don’t forget to give yourself time to sleep. Trust me, your body will thank us.

Eat

During finals week, we tend to move towards the unhealthy foods if we even find time to eat at all. Foods full of fats and sugars aren’t going to benefit our bodies in anyway when it comes to successfully passing the exams. To get the best energy, remember to eat three meals a day—especially during exam week. When choosing study snacks, go for vegetables, fruits, cheese, nuts and lots of water. That way, your body will be energized and ready to go. Also try to stay away from energy drinks. These are horrible for your body and will also leave you a groggy feeling a few hours later.

Take a Break

Nobody can constantly worry about school. It’s tiring on your mind and your body. After studying for a few hours, give yourself a study break. Catch up on your favorite netflix show, go out to dinner, take a nap, paint your nails, do anything to give your brain a break. This will give you a chance to recharge before heading back to the books. While taking a break, you can also remember to encourage yourself to do your best. Remembering to stay positive is a great way to keep pushing through so you can come out at the end of finals week alive and knowing you did your personal best.

Marissa Russo is a senior at Michigan State University studying  journalism with a concentration in apparel and textile design. Her love for writing coincides with her love for design, and after graduation she hopes to work at a publication that allows her to do both. Marissa is a co-campus correspondent for Her Campus MSU. Follow her on Instagram: marissrusso and Twitter: @marissrusso