Life > Academics

3 Easy Ways to Get Ready for Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Effective Time Management

It is no surprise that finals are just around the corner and we all feel super overwhelmed. However, there are some easy techniques to avoid things slipping through cracks and to make sure that you get every assignment done on time and to the best of your abilities. If you struggle with efficient time management like me, I suggest using your clock and calendar apps on phone. Through these resources, I recommend that you set appropriate timeslots for all the things you want to complete and the subject you need to study (for example: ‘chemistry: study from 2-4 on Monday’). I know that this might seem trivial, but ever since I incorporated this habit during any exam and finals week, I feel much more organized and I’m able to successfully set aside time for leisure, study, and work.

Plan Ahead

It has been scientifically proven that planning ahead and setting proper time for your obligations is the most effective way to ensure that you will be able to get everything done on time. Some tips for getting organized are to write down your plans for the week that you feel like needs the most time accommodations and multi-tasking (like finals week). Nedra Glover, a psychologist from Marie Claire magazine, claims that even if you consider yourself to be disorganized and even if you don’t have any kind of planner (including a journal or your phone calendar), you should still aim to write down your plan for any kind of hectic months and weeks.

Study Groups

I know that there are many of us who feel like we study more efficiently when we are with friends or classmates. There have been cognitive studies that support the claim that having a study group on the subjects that we struggle with the most can actually potentialize and maximize our learning abilities. Since we all like to spend time with our friends, why not combine hanging out and studying all in one by arranging study groups for those tricky subjects during finals week, or even on a regular basis throughout the semester.

I'm from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I am a senior at Michigan State University, Political Science-Prelaw major; and I intend to go to law school after graduating from MSU.