This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, and if you’re doing something special with your special someone, you might want to curate a love song playlist for your evening. If you’re struggling with cute tracks to add, here are some suggestions!

1. “Uuu” by Field Medic

If you’re searching for a softer, more folk-style love song, this one’s for you. “Uuu” by Field Medic has gentle guitar plucking layered behind heartfelt lyrics. This song is like a slow dance with laughs between the steps. Your partner won’t have to wonder who you truly desire if you play this song.

1. “Falling In Love Again” by Joyce Manor

“Falling In Love Again” is an edgier rock love song. This track has down-to-earth lyrics about being a little weary of how strong your feelings can be for someone. Personally, this song makes my heart swell. If you want something that’s more of a quick-tempo jam but still provides an adoring message, this song is for you.

1. “Fallingforyou” by The 1975

If you need more laid-back background music on Valentine’s Day, “Fallingforyou” is a great choice. The 1975 makes a plethora of love songs that will make a perfect backing track to your Valentine’s Day. “Fallingforyou” is a gentler love song with a loud and clear message if you’re looking to send signals. 

1. “Nothing Is U” by Bleachers

“Nothing Is U” is an ode to someone that has changed your life. The song is a little more upbeat, so it makes for a good track to dance to around in your kitchen, living room, apartment, or bedroom. The lyrics are not too in-your-face lovey-dovey, so if you’re a little more on the subtle side of expressing your emotions, “Nothing Is U” is for you.

1. “live from the ufo” by Origami Angel 

This song is certainly for the more eccentric couples that want a cute song about love and aliens. It’s a unique little love song about feeling like your views and actions have been shaped by others, but feeling really lucky to have the person that’s by your side despite it. This track is perfect for couples that believe in aliens and desire purely worded lyrics. 

1. “Someday” by The Growlers

“Someday” is for the true romantics. This upbeat, 60s-surf-rock-esque tune is suited for those that know they want to spend forever with their partner. “Someday” talks about how things can be tough, but you’re determined to get through it and do everything you can for them one day. If the idea of eventual marriage is the message you’re trying to convey, have your partner listen to this track.

1. “Now This Is Podracing” by Mom Jeans.

Despite the Star Wars name reference, this song may actually be the sweetest song Mom Jeans. has ever been released. “Now This Is Podracing” is a tender track about recognizing your flaws, wanting to compromise to make things work, and truly appreciating everything someone does for you. This is one of my personal favorite love songs ever written.

1. “Baby I’m Yours” by Arctic Monkeys

“Baby I’m Yours” is a cover of a 1960s love song by Barbara Lewis. The Barbara Lewis version is another lovely rendition of this song if you’re looking for a more old-timey-sounding love song. “Baby I’m Yours” is a sweet melody about being someone’s person with no end in sight. If you’re a forever person without wanting to outwardly express “forever,” this is a perfect song to work around that. 

1. “I’m With You” by Vance Joy 

If you’re looking to make your partner swoon, nearly any Vance Joy song is a great choice. “I’m With You” is one of my personal favorites of his. This track nearly promotes slow dancing, with its patient tempo and endearing lyrics. “I’m With You” elegantly touches on all the normal fears and worries of wanting to be with someone while still clearly conveying the strong emotions behind the fear. No matter what vibe you’re going for this Valentine’s Day, “I’m With You” is a good addition to any Valentine’s Day playlist.

1. “I Wanna Love You” by Just Friends

If dancing with your partner is how you’re planning on spending your Valentine’s Day, this song is a must to listen to. “I Wanna Love You” by Just Friends is a groovy track about wanting to give yourself, your time, and your love to someone. The warm vocals paired with the smooth horn section and guitar is a perfect soundtrack to an evening full of love and warmth.

You can spark up your Valentine’s Day playlist this year with any of these heartfelt tracks. There’s something on this list for nearly everyone’s taste, and there’s something to fit almost any V-Day activity. If you’re looking to try a variety of love songs, add them all to your playlist!

Marlana DeClaire is a senior at Michigan State University. She is studying Genomics and Molecular Genetics as well as Health Promotion. She is a plant and soil science laboratory technician at Michigan State. In her free time she writes poetry, reads, and enjoys attending concerts.