10 Iconic Halloween Costume Ideas For LGBTQ+ Couples

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

With Halloween just around the corner, the stress of finding the perfect costume may be weighing you down. No need to fret, there’s still plenty of time to gather what you need before then. First, you need to figure out what suits you best. For many LGBTQ+ individuals, it can be difficult to find enough representation in the entertainment industry. Due to this, costumes based on canon queer couples may be limited. Thankfully, our society has been progressing over the years. This has opened opportunities for more diversity and inclusivity in many fields, including mixed media. As of now, some of the biggest shows feature prominent LGBTQ+ characters and couples. This is your chance to show off your relationship with the latest and greatest couples’ costumes. If you don’t have a significant other, no need to worry. Use this opportunity to pick out a costume that’ll send a message. What are you waiting for? 

Beware, possible spoilers ahead!

Rue and Jules from Euphoria

HBO’s hit show, Euphoria, features two characters named Rue Bennett and Jules Vaughn, who form a relationship with one another. Throughout the first season, they seem to have an off-and-on co-dependent relationship, with Rue being the one to unhealthily rely on Jules for support. While you may not want to mirror your relationship off of theirs, you can still go as these notable characters for Halloween. So, if you’re a fan of Euphoria’s distinguished style, then grab some glitter and get started. Rue has long brown curly hair and typically wears baggy clothes or clothes resembling the skater aesthetic. Jules, on the other hand, has long bleached hair and typically wears tight, colorful, and feminine clothes. To complete both looks, add some makeup. You can mimic one of the character’s looks or try your own adaptation. What you’ll most likely need is glitter, sequins, colorful eyeshadow, and eyeliner. Perfect, now you’re all ready to show off your costumes for Halloween!

Ruby and Sapphire from Steven Universe

Rebecca Sugar’s Steven Universe contains the canon relationship between Ruby and Sapphire. These two gems fuse together to create the gem, Garnet, signifying their bond to each other. It wasn’t until season 1 episode 49 where we were introduced to Ruby and Sapphire. This was a shocking reveal for viewers who’ve been following Garnet since the first episode. Later on in the series, Ruby and Sapphire get married. So, what will you need in order to become these characters? Ruby has short brown hair that resembles a square shape, and wears a maroon or gold headband. She appears to be wearing a maroon muscle shirt and brown shorts. Sapphire has long light blue hair with bangs that typically cover her eyes. She wears a long dress with multiple shades of blue as well as white gloves. This is not necessary, but you can also wear face paint and gems for these characters. You’re going to look amazing!

Ian and Mickey from Shameless

In Shameless, Ian Gallagher and Mickey Milkovich have a complicated relationship. In the beginning, Mickey is a closeted gay teen who’s love interest is Ian. This affects their relationship because Mickey can’t accept himself and takes out his anger on others – including Ian. Later on, Mickey came out of the closet, which led to him and Ian getting back together after having an on-and-off relationship. Toward the end of the series, the couple officially got married. Here are some key characteristics to replicate for this couple’s costume. Ian has short reddish-orange hair and typically wears dark colors as well as flannels and blue jeans. Mickey has slicked back, short dark hair and typically wears a black jacket, muscle shirts, and dark jeans. To add more detail and attention, you could smear fake blood on your faces. 

Alex and Piper from Orange Is the New Black

Orange Is the New Black is well-known for its LGBTQ+ representation. One of the main couples is Alex Vause and Piper Chapman. They started dating and with that came consequences. Piper was known to be a “good rich-girl”, which deteriorated quickly once she got into a relationship with Alex. Their relationship ended and both were eventually arrested for drug-money crimes. They ended up in the same penitentiary, which led to these characters getting back together. In the end, Alex and Piper got married. To replicate their looks, you may want to get orange, tan, or dark blue prison suits and wear a long-sleeve white shirt underneath. Piper, has medium-length blonde hair while Alex has long dark hair and black glasses. Alex also sometimes wears sharp eyeliner. Now go and win that couples costume contest!

Toni and Cheryl from Riverdale

In Riverdale, the characters Toni Topaz and Cheryl Blossom form a relationship. When we are first introduced to Toni, she and Jughead are starting to form a connection. That ends quickly and she mentions that she is bisexual. Cheryl comes out to Toni by telling her about a relationship she had with a girl named Heather. Soon afterward, they begin dating and become girlfriends. To match these characters’ bold looks, you will need lots of red and black. Cheryl’s quintessential color is in fact red. She wears lots of red, from her feminine outfits to her lipstick. Also, she has reddish-orange hair. Toni has pink-brownish hair and typically wears dark colors, especially black clothes. For a bonus look, you can get red and black leather serpent jackets. 

Simon and Bram from Love, Simon

In the movie Love, Simon, we are introduced to Simon Spier who hasn’t come out as gay to anyone quite yet. He then anonymously writes a post saying he’s gay to the whole school. Someone named ‘Blue’ decides to write to Simon confessing that he is gay as well. Simon is determined to find who this person is and by the end of the film, he decides to post about his plan to find Blue at the school’s carnival. He will wait on the Ferris wheel until Blue shows up and rides on the Ferris wheel with him. To his fortune, Blue shows up and reveals himself as Bram Greenfeld. They both share a passionate kiss on the ride, which signifies the beginning of their relationship. In order to complete this costume, you will need to match their looks. Simon has short brown hair that parts off to the side and he wears his signature denim jacket. Bram has short curly brown hair and typically wears loose fitted t-shirts with an athletic dark blue coat. 

Bubblegum and Marceline from Adventure Time

Princess Bubblegum and Marceline the Vampire Queen are both characters from Adventure time. These two share a kiss in the final episode of the series. It is speculated and implied that they have had a previous relationship before, but whether it was platonic or romantic is up for debate. Throughout the show, Bubblegum and Marceline have reconnected and are bonding with each other. By the end of the series, they are in fact in an intimate relationship. Here’s what you’ll need for your costume. Princess Bubblegum has medium to long pink hair and sometimes wears her gold crown with a blue gem in the middle. She is seen wearing a pink dress, a lab coat, jeans, and a number of loose fitted shirts and sweaters. Marceline the Vampire Queen has both long and short black hair throughout the series. She tends to wear red, grey, and black clothes with blue jeans. Since she is a vampire, she has fangs and also two red bite marks on the side of her neck. One accessory she tends to carry around is her red axe-guitar. Your costumes will match each other so well!

Kurt and Blaine from Glee 

Kurt Hummel and Blaine Anderson start off as friends in the show Glee. They begin dating after Blaine decides to kiss Kurt. Their relationship led to Blaine transferring schools to be closer to Kurt. They break up multiple times throughout the series. By the end of the series, they wind up getting married and have a double-ceremony wedding with Brittany Pierce and Santana Lopez. For Kurt and Blaine’s couples costume, you may want to get their dark blue with red stripes uniform. Kurt has short chestnut hair that is usually gelled up and poofy. He wears tight fitted outfits that consist of sweater-vests, scarfs, and light/colorful shirts. Blaine has slicked back dark hair, and he typically wears his uniform as well as colorful or patterned clothing with bow-ties. 

Ennis and Jack from Brokeback Mountain

In the movie Brokeback Mountain, Ennis Del Mar and Jack Twist were both herding sheep together in the Brokeback mountains. They both got together during their time as co-workers, however, they both married women after their job was finished. Ennis and Jack stayed friends and would go on romantic fishing trips. Jack dies tragically due to being beaten up by three men, most likely as a hate crime. His wife tells Ennis of what happened and that Jack wished for his ashes to be scattered across Brokeback mountain. For the costume, you will need a basic cowboy outfit. Ennis wears a cream-colored cowboy hat. Jack wears a black cowboy hat. Both of them wear an assortment of western colors as well as blue denim. 

Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy from DC Comics

There are many different adaptations of DC Comics and their characters. In some versions, Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy are solely friends and in others they are in a relationship. In Batman: the Animated Series, they meet for the first time by running into each other during separate heists. Harley and Ivy form a mutual friendship, which is seen throughout many adaptations. One common factor throughout each storyline is the fact that Harley isn’t completely over the Joker. In most cases, she eventually returns to him after their breakups. Ivy gives her support to Harley and tries to help her realize that the Joker is abusive. Amanda Connor and Jimmy Palmiotti’s 2013 Harley Quinn comic series dove into the relationship between Harley and Ivy. They were written as girlfriends who have an open relationship. In the Injustice comics, they ended up getting married. There are many different versions of these characters and how they look. For Harley Quinn, she has long bleached blonde hair with a split dye of pink and blue ends. She wears her hair up in pigtails, which divides her dyed hair evenly. Sometimes she is wearing her black and red jester suit, which covers her hair. She also wears a black eye mask and paints her face with red lipstick. The jester skin suit is in the shape of a diamond, where the red parts are diagonally across from each other as well as the black parts of the suit. She has a bikini type suit with thigh highs that is colored the same way. She wears red lipstick, paints her face white, and wears pink eyeshadow for one eye and blue for the other. Poison Ivy has long red hair and green skin. She appears to have green leaves stretched upon her body. Sometimes she wears black clothing over it. For accessories, you can get a baseball bat or a mallet for Harley and paint it in the style of her. Ivy may have vines you can wrap around yourself or someone else. Your costumes are sure to be eye-catching.

Halloween is meant to be a day of escapism where you can dress up, eat sweets, and overall just have a good time. I hope these couples costume ideas were helpful for you. Remember, these costumes don’t have to be perfect. What matters most is the joy that they bring you and the experiences you make. Have a Happy Halloween!

Angela Demas is a first-year student attending RCAH MSU. She has experience writing, editing, and helping to publish articles for her former high school's newspaper. Writing, photography, and graphic design are just a few of her passions.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.