kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

How to Overcome Gymtimidation and Kick Ass at the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montevallo chapter.

Advice given by fitness guru, Madeline Arnold. For more fitness and health related content, follow Madeline on Instagram @madelinexarnold.

Keeping up with an active lifestyle during the stress of college can be hard; especially when the gym is full of student-athletes that you’ve matched with on Tinder. Gymtimidation, though it may be a fake word, is a real thing that many people face while working out at the gym.

For some people, gymtimidation can be so bad, that they won’t even make it past the thought of working out. Here are the best ways to break through your worries and kick ass at the gym. 

1. Remember that a Gym is a Place to Work On Yourself

No matter what your starting point is, everyone at the gym is there to improve their lives. Even if you feel far from your fitness goals, take pride in the fact that you are taking the initiative to better yourself. 

2.People Tend to Watch Themselves More Than They Watch You

The gym is full of mirrors, making it easy for people to watch their form. It is more than likely that they are paying attention to themselves while working out than those around them.

3. Listen to Music for a Confidence Boost

No matter what genre you prefer, some uplifting music can help shift your mindset. Bring some headphones and jam out to a mood-boosting playlist that will leave you feeling empowered and motivated to work on your physical and mental health in the gym.

4. Wear Something You Feel Good In

I’m not suggesting you pay for a pair of overpriced leggings, but confidence starts with how you feel. If you feel good in a pair of knee-length gym shorts, rock it out. Confidence is all about comfort and what makes you feel good. 

5. Don’t Be Afraid to Ask For Help

Never hesitate to ask a friendly face for some help. If someone seems to know what they’re doing and looks approachable, nothing is wrong with asking for a little bit of help. Most likely it will flatter them. 

Jonathan Weed

Montevallo '22

I am Jonathan Weed a Mass Communication major at the University of Montevallo. I love all things to do with Mass Media and cannot wait for the future of journalism.
Julia Gigis is a Multimedia Journalism major at The University of Montevallo. She currently is a marketing intern for RFG Advisory and StrongHer Money. You probably know her as the girl that "dates without dating apps" on Tik Tok, generating over 6 million views and 59k+ followers. In her free time, Julia likes to brunch and take pretentious photos with lattes.