This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Between exams, projects, lectures, and everything in between, sometimes sitting down for a big meal in the morning is not an option! Here are something simple smoothies that taste great but are also healthy! All you need is a one-serving sized blender (I use a magic bullet machine, which you can buy here) and a few simple ingredients. Just place all the ingredients in the blender and mix until smooth!

A Triple Berry Blend

Antioxidants are vital for fabulous skin, and luckily this mix is chock full of them; blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries – with a splash of acai juice will provide you with all the Antioxidants you need. A little high in natural sugar, this the perfect wake-me-up drink for that morning commute. There is also a bit of spinach, which is a dark and leafy green that is great for skin and hair, bone health, and provides protein, iron, vitamins and minerals. Lastly, I love adding some rolled oats. Why?  Rolled Oats are high in a soluble fiber called beta-glucan, which is noted for lowering cholesterol and blood sugar levels, all while it promotes healthy gut bacteria and increases feelings of fullness – keeping you full until lunch!

Ingredients:

• Triple Berry Mix, 1.5 Handfuls – I get mine from Costco, but available wherever frozen fruits are sold!
  • Acai Juice, about 1/3 cup
  • Spinach, 1/3 cup
  • Rolled Oats, ¼ cup 
  • Chia Seeds, 2 Tablespoons 
  • Water (to fill)
Sleepy Time Smoothie

Want a little sweet snack to help you fall asleep? Tart cherry juice has high levels of melatonin, a hormone in the brain that regulates our sleep/wake cycles every day. Chia seeds are just in add-in that I love, they don’t have much taste, but just two tablespoons provide 4 grams of protein, 9 grams fat, 12 grams carbohydrates and 11 grams of fiber, and a bunch of vitamins and minerals. 

Ingredients:

• Dark, tart cherries, about a 1.5 handfuls
  • Almond milk, about a cup
  • Kale, about 1/3 cup
  • Chia Seeds, two tablespoons
Hangover Helper

Long night? Ginger aids digestion of alcohol and soothes the stomach. Pomegranate juice is high in the antioxidant called resveratrol, which eases that inflammation and oxidative stress. Bananas replenish that potassium lost after a long night of drinking, and lastly, almond butter is high in Vitamin E and liver-supporting fats. Mix and blend for a quick go-to.

Ingredients:

• Ginger, about 1/3 cup
  • Banana, one whole or cut up
  • Pomegranate juice, 1 cup
  • Triple Berry Frozen mix, ½ handful
  • Almond butter, three tablespoons
Post-Run Banana Chocolate Smoothie

S/o to NBC Chicago for this one! After a nice long run, we all need to feed our bodies. Adding the Banana for great for restoring carbohydrates after a run, especially when consumes right after! Protein powder for the chocolate greatness, and can also health replenish energy and strength that is similar to consuming carbs after a run!

Ingredients:

• 1 banana
  • Chocolate Protein Powder, One scoop 
  • Almond Milk,1 cup 
  • Spinach, Two handfuls
  • Plain Yogurt, 1/4 cup 

Sources: 1, 2

Oh, when she’s angry, she is keen and shrewd. She was a vixen when she went to school; and though she be but little, she is fierce.
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.