rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Mental health is a daily battle that lots of people happen to fight, yet many that go through it still feel alone. That’s why I feel it’s important to normalize and talk about depression. To begin, I feel it’s important to provide a trigger warning because while for some reading about their state of mind is okay, others might find it difficult. You know yourself best, please read-only if you feel comfortable. If you decide you want to exit, please just remember that you’re not alone. 

1. Breathe 

“Well duh I’m breathing, I’m alive!” Yeah, that’s what I think too till I catch myself forgetting to do so and notice my shoulders are at the sides of my neck and my jaw is clenched to the point of discomfort. Seriously stop what you’re doing and breathe. 

1. Sticky notes

Go to your local dollar store and get a pack of sticky notes. Every Sunday write positive messages to yourself on a bunch of them. “You’re beautiful” on your mirror,” “You’re capable” inside of your agenda. Call it as corny as you want, but fake it till you make it! Why constantly beat yourself up in your head when you can love yourself out loud? 

Which brings me to my next point

1. Talk to yourself

Have you ever heard about the power of manifestation? Well, I’m here to tell you it’s real. Don’t only talk to yourself when you’re tugging at the parts of your body you don’t like in the mirror. Look at yourself every morning and remind yourself of how far you’ve come and how strong you are. Remember to trust yourself and that you are your own best friend. No one can do for you what you can do for yourself!

1. Talk to someone

Easier said than done for some, I know it can be hard to open up depending on who you are. Talking to someone doesn’t necessarily mean a professional. Professional help is great if you have the privilege and are comfortable doing so. Although, talking to trusted adults or having a mentor that you’re comfortable with can be just as great. We’re all only human, find someone in your community who you can confide in and open up to. Not everything deserves to stay in your head. 

1. Journal 

This is a great way to keep track of your mental health. Write down how you’re feeling every day. Whether good or bad, never forget to write down notes of gratitude at the bottom. There’s something to be grateful for every day, even a warm bed to be able to lay in at night. 

1. Get active

Being active is different for everyone. Whether you want to go to the gym or take a hike, both are great. Yet this is not the only way to be active, sometimes for someone who is depressed getting active can literally mean going out with friends for dinner. Who cares? That too is progress. There are days where hanging out with my girls feels like a chore. I love them to death and hanging out seems cool till its time to actually get up and stop feeling sorry for myself. Interpret “get active” as you will, but just do it! Even if it means you showered and walked to the store to pick up your favorite ice cream.

Most importantly, you’re not alone. Millions of people are just like you and also face internal daily battles. The difference is how you handle it and that every day you at least take the initiative to better yourself. Remember that like everything else, you are also a work in progress. You are not broken and your feelings are not invalid. There are people out there who love you even in the moments where you feel most alone and undeserving. You deserve happiness in abundance.

Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.