Wellness

Taking the Scale out of Your Daily Life Forever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

On Jan. 4, 2016, I decided to stop weighing myself on the scale forever, and it has done nothing but help my self-confidence and my self-esteem. That number at the doctor’s office seems to scare everyone, especially young women — including me. me. Will I be heavier than I want to be? How much have I gained since college? I am not the only person who believes in this method of madness.

Insider Magazine wrote an article stating that weighing yourself creates the following: distracts you from body cues, creates mental obstacles, and becomes obsessive and unhealthy. However, the number does not determine your overall fitness and health. We are constantly judged and put into this category of not being good enough, whether it’s on social media, at parties, through the streets, or by people.  Do not let a piece of metal with a few digital numbers judge and ridicule you.  Especially, do not let a scale have the power to determine your daily confidence.  Like everyone says — if there is something toxic in your life, take it and cut it out forever.

With that being said, here are some steps to taking the scale out of your daily life!

Step 1: Limit the amount of scales in your own to one, preferably none at all. But don’t put it somewhere where you are constantly present. For example, put it in the laundry room, storage or a closet.

Step 2: Make your doctor aware. You should tell your doctor that you do not want to know your weight for personal reasons, and they’ll just simply will put it in file.

Step 3:Tell everyone who asks you about your weight to mind their own business and that you don’t focus on your weight — you focus on your own health and happiness.

“I never get on a scale because you can’t judge yourself on how much you weigh. What really matters is how good I feel.” -Kate Upton

Celebrities have also joined this mission! Busy Phillips expresses to People Magazine, “I have stopped weighing myself almost two years ago, because I noticed it was giving me anxiety and affecting my mood.” Other icons like Christina Aguilera, Pink, Khloe Kardashian, and Kate Winslet have all cut out using a scale in their daily routine and they admit to being happier and healthier because of it!

“For me exercise is about getting stronger, it was never about my weight, I never used a scale.” -Shay Mitchell

Stamping a number on something so delicate, like your self-love and confidence, can be detrimental. I Instead of focusing on a number, focus on the way you look, feel, and the confidence your radiate! So, I said F*** the numbers and f*** society norms!

Hi. My name is Erin Kristen McConville and I am a Junior, Fashion major and Business minor, here at Montclair State University. I enjoy doing many different activities, mostly I enjoy being active, including yoga and hiking, being adventurous with the people I love, and writing/ blogging. Writing is a huge part of my life. When I am sad, happy, anxious or annoyed, I write. Writing is my safe space and my getaway, I take my emotions and put them on paper or on my laptop and suddenly the world is okay again. I also enjoy spending time with my friends, family and dogs even if it means just sitting by the fireplace in South Jersey and watching a good movie. I love being creative; scrapbooking, wedding planning and designing my own clothing and accessories. Some of my inspirations are Demi Lovato and Christina Aguilera in the music industry, Sarah Jessica Parker and Julia Roberts in the movie and fashion industry. Sex & The City was a huge influence on my passion for fashion and also the start of my writing career. I am eager to explore deeper into this beautiful life and adventure into the many opportunities that are placed upon me.
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.