Wellness > Mental Health

Small Ways To Improve Your Mental Health Every Day This Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

In case you didn’t know, May is Mental Health Awareness Month. Our mental health is one of the issues we most overlook. We have a tendency to overwork ourselves and fail to take care of our mental well-being. Mental health is a broad concept that covers our emotional, psychological and even social well-being. Mental Health awareness is a cause that I hold dear to my heart because it’s something that I’ve struggled with, especially in college. As college students, it’s so important for us to be actively taking care of ourselves mentally and emotionally. And if you’re struggling with your mental health, don’t be afraid to seek help. As a Montclair State student, take advantage of your resources and call CAPS to speak to someone. 

Every day, do one act to enhance your mental health! If you do one of these this month feel free to take a picture and tag us on your story! @hcmontclair

1. Declutter

• Clean out your car or your room. Take out all trash, and wipe down surfaces to create a clean and refreshing space for yourself.

• Clean out your closet and get rid of clothes that you don’t wear anymore.

2. Detox from social media for a day ( or longer )

• Without a doubt, we’re in the midst of one of the most violent, unstable and chaotic times of our lives. The world outside seems to be becoming more dystopian by the day, from COVID-19 to police brutality crises to mega-corporation mass exploitation of the poor. It can get overwhelming and increase our anxiety. Turn off your phone for a day, or simply delete or mute your social media apps and take a detox day.

3. Exercise 

• Get your endorphins moving! Go for a run, try a yoga class, go to the gym, even short walks around campus. 

4. Cook yourself a healthy meal/nourish your body

• It’s so important to nourish your body! Go on Pinterest or even TikTok and look for recipe inspo, keep in mind it doesn’t have to be super complicated, the point is to nourish your body.

5. Reach out to an old friend or family member you haven’t talked to in awhile

6. Self-care

• This is personally one of my favorite ways to take care of my mental health. I love washing my face and doing a full skincare routine after a long day of classes homework and Zoom calls. 

• Take a long shower or bath

7. Go to bed early

• Sleep is extremely important for our mental health and as a college student, I’m guilty of pulling many all-nighters to finish assignments. 8.

8. Cuddle your pet

9. Watch your favorite show

• Watching your favorite show is a perfect way to relax and enjoy some alone time. My personal favorite comfort shows are Gilmore Girls, Friends, Schitt’s Creek and New Girl. 

10. Get ahead on assignments

• Get it done in case you have a hard day later on.

11. Make a to-do list for the day

12. Make a list of reasons you love yourself ( Show yourself some love)

13.Look up some positive affirmations or Bible verses

14. Pray/Meditate

• Depending on how that may look for you, praying or meditating.

• Personally, I’m a Christian and I try my best to have a “ Quiet Time” or Bible study every morning/night. However that may look for you, is a great way for you spiritually.  

Mental Health Resources for MSU students:

Non-MSU students

• The Trevor Lifeline (for LGBTQ individuals): 1-866-488-7386

• Southwest Behavioral Health Suicide Prevention Line: 812-422-1100

• National Suicide Prevention: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)

Anna Alvarez is an Undergrad at Montclair State University, majoring in Family and Human Sciences. She loves curling up with a good book, traveling to new places, and watching gilmore girls aspiring to be her own version of Lorelai Gilmore.
Tara Byrne

Montclair '21

Tara is 22 years old and a senior at Montclair State majoring in fashion studies with a minor in business. She loves keeping up with pop culture and catching up on her Youtube subscriptions. Tara mostly writes fashion, beauty, and lifestyle pieces for Her Campus. She is the current President and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Montclair. In addition, she is a Co-Campus Coorespondent for Her Campus Montclair.