sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Open Letter to the Girl Afraid of Entering the Real World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Dear College Gal, 

Your college experience is coming to an end. In a few short weeks, you will walk across that stage while your family and friends clap and yell your name as you accept your degree. All of that hard work over these past four years will finally pay off and you will feel as though you can conquer the world. The only thing getting in the way of that feeling is the thought of entering the real world constantly hanging over your head. You keep hearing stories of fellow colleagues wishing they were back to being carefree college students who do not have to worry about finding a stable job or paying off their student loans. Hearing these stories makes you quiver in fear. 

Ever since you were little, you dreamed of being an independent adult living the best life you could live. You envisioned your life as a movie, where you have a fabulous apartment in a big city and the job of your dreams. Now that the time to enter the real world is finally upon you, all you can think about is whether or not you’re ready for it. 

Everyone gets scared, everyone wonders what their lives will be like once they leave the comfort of their college campus. I want to tell you that it’s okay to be afraid of the real world—it’s okay to not know where your life is going. Being a recent grad comes with the fear of the unknown. The real world is a scary place, but it’s up to you to not let fear overshadow your ability to make the best out of your life. ​​

Photo Sources: 1, 2

Hello everyone! My name is BreYana Williams and I currently attend Montclair State University pursuing a to receive a degree in fashion studies with a minor in journalism. I have always had a love for fashion and pop culture ever since I was little and being able to write for HerCampus is literally a dream come true. I have always had a knack for expressing myself through my clothes and writing down my feelings and now I am able to share my own personal input on fashion related topics. I am really excited to share myself with each one of you.
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.