stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Nutrition Heaven: My Week from Scratch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

We all love our pizza and pasta and our late-night cookies, but we also know how bad it is for our bodies. I myself, have a huge obsession with cookies however, as I was reading the nutrition facts on the box I came up with an idea where I can eat all of my favorite foods but still maintain a healthy diet while doing so. Therefore, I decided to dedicate a whole week to making the foods that I love from scratch.  

My week from scratch consisted of pizza, pasta, guacamole and cookies. I made it a short list so that the results would be more consistent. The guacamole was the easiest to make, I bought some fresh avocado from the market and started mixing. Making guacamole yourself rather than buying the packaged version makes a huge difference, you can really taste the fresh ingredients.

The next thing I prepared was the pizza. The only complicated thing about making pizza from complete scratch is that, you must let the dough sit for at least four hours, but preferably overnight. Therefore, it’s not a quick and easy thing to make, like the guacamole. While I let the dough sit, I began to make the pasta. Luckily, my mom loves to make pasta, so I used a little bit of her help on this one. Once that was all prepared, I started to make the red sauce for both the pasta and the pizza. The last thing I made from scratch was nestle chocolate chip cookies, and although it was very messy it was worth it. 

By the third day my body and my mind had a whole different experience. Every bite had a freshness to it. Each meal and snack had real flavoring. Though it was a lot more time consuming, messy and a lot more work it was more than worth it. Making food from scratch can also be a fun activity for friends to come over and enjoy, or even just a simple learning experience about how food really is made. It simple to do and for everyone to try and head to your kitchen and start cooking.

Delanie DeMarco is currently a junior at Montclair ('21) studying communication. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her planning another vacation,(badly) singing early 2000's hits, or crying over dog videos. She loves everything pop culture and her ultimite inspiration is Erin Lim(from Snapchat's "The Rundown"). Delanie's personal motto is to create and inspire.
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.