This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

For those of us who want to stay away from using harsh chemicals and ingredients on our bodies, there are plenty of organic options and beauty tips we can resort to. Store-bought skin and hair products are loaded with chemicals that can cause damage and can be harmful to those who suffer from allergies. Organic products are also proven to be more effective and safer on skin and hair. But even organic store-bought products are highly expensive, so why not DIY your own? It’s less costly, and it’s easier than you might think. Plus, it’s a fun way to keep yourself busy when you’re completely bored. If you’re looking for a cheaper alternative and something creative to do, here are some easy DIY skin and hair care recipes:

DIY Facial Scrub

Why not start a good skincare routine with a nice facial scrub? A quick and effective recipe is to mix baking soda and lemon juice in a small bowl then gently brush it onto your skin in a circular motion. Baking soda is known to deeply exfoliate the skin while scrubbing away any dirt and grime buried in our pores. Lemon juice acts as a natural remedy that reduces inflammation and dries out pimples since it contains citric acid.

Face Rag

When using the homemade face scrub, exfoliate with a face rag. Yes, this is the old-fashioned face rag our grandmothers use. By washing with a face rag, it’s a good way to exfoliate instead of investing in the expensive rolling brushes that can sometimes harm the skin. Face rags smooth off all the dead skin and top it off with a natural radiant glow!

DIY Rose Water Spray

After scrubbing away, DIY your own Rosewater spray! Rosewater is widely known as an effective skin care remedy for nourishing, naturally hydrating and refreshing the skin! Another perk is that it smells amazing! Who doesn’t love the sweet scent of roses? Just simply pick a handful of roses from your garden, or purchase them at a local farm or market then boil the petals. Once it cools down, place it into a spray bottle and keep it safe in the fridge. Once it’s cold enough, spray it all over your face and allow your skin to absorb the refreshing feeling.

Pure Aloe Vera Plant

A great way to end a great skincare routine, is to top it off with moisturizer. If you’re prone to dry skin or suffer from dry skin patches, invest in an aloe vera leaf which is a dollar at the grocery store. Slice it open, either make a paste out of it or smooth it directly onto your face. You could also use this on your hair for conditioning purposes. Just let it sit in your hair for a little while before washing it out. Aloe definitely serves great healing powers and you’ll notice a natural glow linger on your face and hair for the rest of the day!

DIY Sugar Wax

If you don’t feel like shaving or you’re trying to save money on waxing, DIY your own Sugar wax! It’s quick and easy to make and clean up, it’s non-toxic and it’s super cheap! All it is is a combination of sugar, honey, water and lemon juice. Mix those ingredients together and boil it for 5-7 minutes. You’ll know when it’s ready once it turns into a perfect honey color. Let it cool, take out a popsicle stick, then apply it to your skin and you’re good to go. Especially if you have sensitive skin, sugar waxing is proven to be a better option than traditional waxing. Sugar is an effective remedy for exfoliating the skin while also providing additional softness! 

Hair Mask

Haircare is another good time investment. If you suffer from greasy hair, an easy hair mask recipe that works wonders is to smooth on one or two egg whites (depending on your hair length) with lemon juice from the roots to ends. The egg whites contain protein enzymes that magically remove the excess oil. For the best results, leave the mask on for an hour before rinsing. Or if your hair is feeling frizzy, here’s a way to calm it down! Combine one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, one teaspoon of honey and one egg in a bowl. This hair mask works on all hair types! It’s an excellent nourishing and hydrating treatment for dryness and it codes your hair with a natural shine. Just leave it on for about 40 minutes before rinsing for the best results then show it off all fresh and new!

Don’t hesitate to give these homemade recipes a try! Experiment with them and most importantly, have fun with them. Your smooth skin and shiny hair will thank you later

Rosaria LoPresti

Montclair '21

Rosaria Lo Presti is a journalist with a strong passion for writing. She also enjoys reading, fashion, and traveling. During her free time, she loves to sing and play instruments or bake something delicious.
Bella is a Senior at Montclair State University studying Communications and Media Arts with a minor in Business. She is currently the Senior Editor as well as contributing writer for Her Campus Montclair and is very excited to take on the role of Vice President and Co-Editor in Chief for the spring '21 semester.