bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

I Started Acupuncture and Here’s What I Think

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Early this year I started attending appointments at my local acupuncturist. My dad had been going for a few years now and recommended I go before I started cancer treatments in hopes that it would lower my side-effects.  

At first, it was super difficult to relax as you watch yourself get poked with one needle after another. I will admit the pokes are a bit uncomfortable but nothing most people can’t handle. 

My needles were placed all around my body for my “trouble areas”- trying to prevent side effects such as nausea, indigestion, and joint pain. What I found interesting was that the needles weren’t placed where you would initially think. I had them on my ankles, knees, wrists, elbows, etc. After asking, they explained they placed the needles on the pressure points rather than the actual locations in pain.

I will admit I wasn’t all-in on this adventure when we started. I wasn’t sure how much this holistic method would help but it blew me away. There have been times I would be laying on the table and suddenly my stomach wouldn’t hurt anymore, or my headache would just magically disappear.

I have become a big believer in this form of care and would recommend it to anyone interested. However, I will mention that you have to be able to sit still for an hour or so while the needles do their thing. At first, I wasn’t able to do that but now in the relaxing setting they create for you, I can easily fall asleep.

So if you’re on the fence about trying acupuncture, I recommend it. Be prepared for a little bit of a crazy experience at first, but once you get the hang of it, it’s a relaxing oasis.

Cecily Lovas

Montclair '21

Cecily Lovas is a junior at Montclair State University, studying Communications and Media Arts. She's a city girl at heart, constantly exploring New York City, and always looking for new adventures. Her other interests consist of music, movies, and health/fitness. She is a contributing writer as well as project manager for Montclair State's Chapter of Her Campus.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.