I Quit Caffeine for a Month and I Didn’t Die

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

I approached the checkout counter of the convenience store holding two Diet Cokes, a Five-Hour Energy and a Red Bull. “Weren’t you just in here this morning?” the cashier asked me as she peered at my collection of caffeine. Struggling to keep my eyes open and my hands from shaking I sheepishly replied, “They’re for a friend.” That’s when I knew I had a problem.

Like many college students, I relied heavily on caffeine to get through the day, to finish assignments and to stay awake during class. The amount of soda, coffee, and energy drinks I was consuming was far beyond the normal amount. I could feel that my body was internally dying, my stress levels were skyrocketing and my wallet was thinning. It was only until I realized I could not function without caffeine, that I decided to stop.

I told myself I would go a week without drinking soda and energy drinks, but then I found myself finding other ways of consuming caffeine. As a result, I made my challenge a little bit more difficult: Go An Entire Month Drinking Only Water.

Here’s What Happened:

Increased Energy

The first week without caffeine was brutal. I found myself peering into the glass walls of vending machines only to slowly walk away remembering the good ol’ days of Diet Coke. After the first week of pain had passed, the crash and burn feeling of caffeine had worn off and my water only regime began to increase my energy. I began waking up earlier in the morning and being able to complete my assignments before midnight.

Improved Skin

I have always noticed that the amount of caffeinated beverages I drank in one day had an effect on my skin; the caffeine alone gave my eyes a darkened tint. After the first week of only drinking water, I could see that the acne on my face was slowly diminishing. After week two, I found that my skin had cleared up altogether and had shiny glow to it.

Better Ability To Focus

The idea of sitting through four straight classes without caffeine felt undoable at first, but when I started carrying two water bottles with me at all times I realized that the water gave me an academic advantage. Taking tests, reading articles and paying attention to Power Points all became easier for my brain to do without the jittery feeling of anxiety.   

Healthier Choices

As I calmed down without caffeine, I started making more rational decisions when it came to the food I was eating. I wasn’t as hungry all of the time and I had less late night junk food cravings. As result of my water intake, my healthier choices and the clear decrease of sodium in my diet, I lost weight and found myself two jean sizes smaller.

Less Broke

If I had to calculate it, I would say I was spending approximately $180 a month on caffeinated beverages, which is around the cost of buying three a day.  When I started drinking water and refilling my bottles wherever I went, I saved a fortune.

After I finally hit the one-month mark of my water only and caffeine free journey, I felt ecstatic knowing that I had actually pulled it off. I felt better physically and emotionally and my cravings for caffeine disappeared.  I’ve decided to keep going with my challenge beyond the one-month mark and continue to see how much better I feel.

Last week I walked into the convenience store and approached the checkout counter with a water bottle and an apple. “Sure you don’t want a Diet Coke with that?” the cashier joked.

“Not Today.”

Image Sources: 1 2 3

Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.