Gimme that Gluten: Why You Should Keep Eating those Gluten-Filled Carbs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Everyone is always searching for the newest health craze. People went from eating only low-fat foods to going on seriously expensive juice cleanses, to even drinking cayenne-infused lemonade for up to 14 days! All these fad diets may lead you to lose weight, but are they healthy?

The idea of going “gluten-free” has become the newest epidemic in health trends. Multiple platforms and notable faces have claimed that gluten, which is a protein, is “bad for the body.” This trend has the general audience thinking that they should be “gluten-free”, convinced that they will lose weight, or that gluten itself is just not beneficial.

Here are the basics: gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye, and barley that help foods by holding its shape that contributes to the texture as well. Yet, found in whole grains, a gluten-FILLED diet provides nutrients such as fiber, iron, folate, calcium, and the lists goes on. Eating whole grains can help prevent risks of issues such as heart disease, or type 2 diabetes, and some forms of cancer.

There is a population who must avoid this protein at all costs, those living with celiac disease. Celiac disease is the immune reaction from consuming the gluten protein that will lead to potentially damaging the small intestine. Living with celiac disease can slow growth and weaken bones; this is due to not being able to absorb many nutrients, which can lead to deficiencies, possibly osteoporosis, or a risk of lymphoma.

Most gluten-free products tend to be made from refined grains that are very low in nutrients, making it hard for those without celiac disease to benefit from it! Some gluten-free alternatives are even higher in calories and higher priced, due to the high demand and need for this genre of product. These gluten-free alternatives may not be nutritious for those following a weight loss or health trend, but it does provide those with celiac disease a longer list of foods they can now choose from.

In conclusion: everything in moderation, eat a variety of fruits and veggies, and lastly, EAT SOME WHOLE WHEAT BREAD, it’s good for you!

Source: 1, 2

Oh, when she’s angry, she is keen and shrewd. She was a vixen when she went to school; and though she be but little, she is fierce.
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.