felix luo ucRO rs4y9I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
felix luo ucRO rs4y9I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Decor

Dorm Decor That You Can Bring With You to Your First Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

After spending all that money on the perfect dorm decor, I know we’re all thinking the same thing—this better last me a long time! The best thing to do when shopping is to find items that will last you a long time and never go out of style. Pick items that are neutral that you will be able to match with any color room or furniture. I’ve picked out a few items that you’ll be able to bring with you from college to your first apartment.

Pillows

Pillows are a great way to spice up the furniture in the room. If you have neutral furniture, colorful pillows could add that extra pop to the room. On the other hand, if you have colored furniture neutral pillows are the way to go. I would recommend purchasing neutral pillows that will match any color of furniture you may have in the future. This way you’ll know you’ll get the maximum use out of them. 

Prints

Prints and pictures on the wall are another great way to add your own flair to your apartment. I would recommend sticking to the neutral theme so the room stays cohesive and clean. A great place to purchase affordable prints is at Redbubble. I have a few pictures and prints from them in my dorm room that I know I’ll bring with me to my first apartment.

Lamps

Lamps are great for brightening up an area while also acting as another decor piece. They’re also the perfect item for end tables. Make sure you pick lampshades that match the other decor pieces in the space so everything flows.

Area Rugs

Area rugs are the final decor must-have. This will wrap the whole room up and complete the whole look. Area rugs are often a focal point in a space, so again make sure you pick something that blends with the other decor items. 

Target is a great place to shop for all of these. I got a super cute lamp, pillows, and an area rug there for a reasonable price. I went for a creme theme in my room and I was able to find everything from Redbubble and Target. I love all the pieces I have because I know they’ll last me a long time. Go check out these websites for some of your own decor pieces! For more ideas of items that you can bring with you check out 6 Dorm Staples That’ll Last You Through Your First & Second Apartment.

Celina Mazon

Montclair '21

Celina is a junior at Montclair State University obtaining a BA in Communication and Media Arts and a minor in Business. From a young age, Celina has always had a passion for fashion, beauty, and anything to do with entertainment. She hopes to find a career doing Public Relations for one of the three industries in the future. In her free time, she loves creating media projects with friends. Whether it making YouTube videos or having a photoshoot they always have a great time. She cannot wait to see what the future holds for her and is ready to take any opportunity thrown her way.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.