5 Things I Learned During My First Semester of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

College was definitely a huge adjustment and transition for me and still continues to be, even during my second semester! However, I learned a lot over the 3 months of the last semester. I didn’t realize I would be exposed to many lessons and experiences in such a short period of time! So with that being said, here are a few things I learned during my first semester of college: 

1. People are incredibly friendly.

I didn’t realize how welcoming everyone in college would be. Even though this was all a difficult adjustment for me, meeting such welcoming individuals made me feel so reassured and especially made this transition go much more smoothly.​​

2. Being independent isn’t too bad.

For the most part, thus far, I’ve actually enjoyed being independent. I feel like I’ve grown up in some aspects. It’s hard to explain, but in a way, it’s an accomplishing and good feeling knowing I’m able to do things on my own and take care of myself.

3. You begin to feel at home. 

Although you’re away at college, in a dorm room, and in a different environment, you eventually get used to it all. Once you’re settled in and adjusted to a new routine, things start to fall into place. You actually begin to feel comfortable and content with your surroundings after some time. On top of that, being surrounded by welcoming people makes you feel even more at home!

4. Dining halls soon become a dread. 

In the beginning, going to the dining hall wasn’t all that bad. However, after a while it gets old and you eventually get sick of it, as I did. You begin to realize how much you truly miss home cooked meals and getting the right amount of food variety in your system. Eventually, the walk to the dining hall feels like a chore. 

5. College is a whole different ballgame. 

Entering college, no one knows what to expect. But as the weeks go by, you begin to ease into a whole new routine. After a while, you begin to realize college is completely different to what you used to back in high school. I’ll be honest, there’s going to be days when you don’t want to even continue college because it may start to become too much. However, it can be done and anyone can get through it! Yes, college is nothing like high school, but that’s all a part of growing up and learning from your experiences. It just takes some time getting used to. 

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

Hope is a junior at Montclair State University, majoring in English. She is the current Lifestyle editor at Her Campus Montclair. Besides having a love for writing, you can often find her listening and discovering new music, admiring sunsets, and fangirling over dogs. 
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.