5 Recipes for Healthy Holiday Side Dishes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

‘Tis the season for family and food! With all the delicious meals made around the holidays, how can you possible stay on a healthy track with? Instead of counting those calories or limiting an intake of those delish holiday meals, this holiday season try these simple and flavorful sides. 

Here are fie alternative recipes for popular side dishes that will not only compliment the main course, your family will be begging you to bring them every holiday event!

A Variation On the Traditional Stuffing: Acorn Squash and Quinoa Stuffing

Bring a new, healthy twist on a classic favorite to the table this holiday season. This side dish is als a perfect option for those with a busy schedule as it can be made and stored up to two days in advance without losing any of it’s delicious flavor!

Recipe courtesy of Sunday Morning Bananas

Yields: 6-8 servings

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup tri color quinoa, rinsed well + 1 cup water
  • 1 medium acorn squash, peeled with seeds discarded
  • 1 large bunch Kale, leaves removed from stems
  • 1 dried red chili pepper or 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
  • 1 cup adzuki beans cooked
  • 1/4 cup pepitas
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 tsp salt
  • Parsley and  pepitas for garnishing

Directions

1. Pre heat oven to 400*
  2.  Using a food processor: Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a medium sauce pan, add rinsed quinoa, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow quinoa to sit for an additional 5 minutes.
  3. With your food processor fitted with the grater plate, shred the acorn squash.  
  4. Shred kale through the processor.
  5. Transfer contents of the food processor to a large bowl. Return half of the mixture to the processor along with the whole dried red chili, adzuki beans & pepitas, pulse a few times until mixture comes together, but not overly processed. Return contents to the large bowl.
  6. Mix in cooked quinoa, maple syrup and salt.
  7. Transfer stuffing to a small baking dish, bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and garnish with parsley and additional pepitas.
  8. By hand…  Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a medium saucepan, add rinsed quinoa, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow quinoa to sit for an additional 5 minutes.
  9. Shred acorn squash by hand into a large bowl.
  10. Roughly shop kale and add to the bowl.
  11. With a spice grinder or by hand crush the chili pepper, roughly chop the pepitas. Add the adzuki beans, chili pepper, pepitas, salt, maple syrup and cooked quinoa to the mixing bowl. Stir until well combined.
  12. Transfer stuffing to a small baking dish, bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and garnish with parsley and additional pepitas.
An Alternative for Mashed Potatoes: Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Mashed “Potatoes”

How can you incorporate more vegetables into your holiday meals? Look no further: this recipe will provide holiday guests with the same luscious, thick and creamy texture they’re used to with mashed potatoes, it just swaps out the potatoes for a head of cauliflower!

Recipe & Photo Courtesy of Hummusapien

Yields: 3 servings

Ingredients

• 1 bulb of garlic
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 head of cauliflower
  • ½ cup unsweetened almond milk + more to thin (or milk of choice)
  • ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 tbsp butter, melted
  • ½ tsp salt
  • pepper to taste
  • ¼ green onions, chopped

Directions

1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Slice off the top of the garlic bulb and wrap bulb in foil. Drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil.
  3. Chop cauliflower into florets. Spread out on baking sheet in an even layer. Drizzle with remaining 1 tsp olive oil and toss to coat.
  4. Roast cauliflower and garlic bulb for about 35 minutes, stirring cauliflower halfway through cooking.
  5. Allow cauliflower to cool slightly. Remove garlic cloves from bulb (they should be soft and very easy to remove from skin).
  6. In a food processor, blend together roasted garlic, cauliflower, milk, yogurt, melted butter, salt and pepper until smooth and mashed potato-like. Season with more salt and pepper to taste.
  7. Fold in chopped green onions and serve.
A Kale-Filled Alternative for Cranberry Chutney: Balsamic Kale and Cranberries

A new turn on this classic sweet side, keep your sweet tooth satisfied with sweet and savory dish. Not only is it delicious, this is the perfect last minute dish as it only takes a total of 15 minutes to make!

Recipe & Photo Courtesy of Healthy Seasonal Recipes

Yields: 2.5 cups

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 8 cups shredded kale leaves (no stems)
  • ¼ cup dried cranberries
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 4 teaspoons best quality balsamic vinegar, or to taste

Directions

1. Heat oil over medium heat.
  2. Add onion and sauté until starting to soften and are browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
  3. Add kale, cranberries, water and salt, cover and cook, removing lid to stir often until the kale is wilted and tender, 3 to 6 minutes longer.
  4. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
A Healthy Spin on the Classic Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows: A Simply Sweet Potato Casserole

With classic sweet potatoes with marshmallows, some may feel full after just a couple spoonfuls. This recipe is a lighter version of the popular classic that is both lighter on your stomach and your plate!

Recipe & Photo Courtesy of Health Magazine

Yields: 12 servings  (about 2/3 cup per person)

Ingredients

Potatoes:

• 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup evaporated low-fat milk
  • 3 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  •  2 large eggs
  • Cooking spray

Topping:

• 1.5 ounces whole wheat flour (about 1/3 cup)
  • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350°.
  2. To prepare potatoes, place potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender; drain. Cool 5 minutes.
  3. Place potatoes in a large bowl; add granulated sugar, evaporated milk, 3 tablespoons melted butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and vanilla. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add eggs; beat well. Pour potato mixture into a 13 x 9–inch baking pan coated with cooking spray.
  4. To prepare topping, weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, brown sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; stir with a whisk. Stir in 2 tablespoons melted butter. Sprinkle flour mixture evenly over potato mixture; arrange pecans evenly over top. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or just until golden.
  5. Preheat broiler (remove casserole from oven).
  6. Broil casserole 45 seconds or until topping is bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
A Healthy-Lifestyle Friendly Pastry: Vegan Cranberry Corn Muffins

This recipe is an easy take on a classic favorite and another great choice for a last minute addition to the table. With a total cook time of only 30 minutes, this cornbread will be a great at any holiday feast, especially on a lactose intolerant, vegan, or vegetarian’s plate!

Recipe Courtesy of Delish Knowledge

Yields: 12 Muffins

Ingredients

• 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tbsp. ground flaxseeds (flax meal)
  • 6 tbsp. water
  • 1½ cups fine cornmeal
  • 1¼ cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tbsp. baking powder
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • ¼ tsp. cumin
  • ¼ tsp. smoked paprika
  • ¼ cup neutral oil
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • ¼ cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 cup cranberry preserve or jam

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray.
  2. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the non-dairy milk with apple cider vinegar. Let sit for 5 minutes to curdle, this will give the muffins a buttermilk taste.
  3. In another small cup, mix together the water and flax meal and let rest until gelled together.
  4. In a large bowl or kitchen stand mixer, add the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, cumin, paprika, and sugar. Stir until combined.
  5. Combine the flax meal mixture to the apple cider vinegar mixture and add the oil and maple syrup. Whisk together and then add to the cornmeal mixture. Stir until fully combined.
  6. Divide the batter into the 12 muffin cups, filling about ⅔ fill. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
  7. After the muffins cool, spoon the cranberry preserves into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip. Push the tip of the bag through the top of the muffin and squeeze 1 to 2 tablespoons of preserves into the middle. Repeat for each muffin.

With these recipes, you’ll be able to enjoy the holidays without sacrificing the foods you love for the sake of staying fit! Will YOU be using one of these recipes this holiday season? Let us know in the comments below! 

Oh, when she’s angry, she is keen and shrewd. She was a vixen when she went to school; and though she be but little, she is fierce.
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.