free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

3 Tips to Nailing a Job Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Still haven’t gotten that summer job or internship yet? There is still time to reach out and get hired. Job interviews are intimidating, but with a good strategy and the right attitude, anyone can nail the process!

As stressful as it seems, here are 3 main steps to know for a successful interview: be prepared, be likable, and stand out from the competition. Take a look at how to rock each step:

1. Be prepared. When it comes to interviews, “winging it” really is not the answer. It is a good idea to prepare for the entire process from before you walk in. It is crucial to be on time for interviews; being late can be a deal-breaker! That’s why you always want to know where you are going and how you are getting there before the day of. Also, give yourself time in advance to put together the right outfit! Be careful to know the difference between interview attire and party clothes and when in doubt, go business casual with a black blazer. Lastly, make sure you have your materials ready to go. Know your resume by heart!

2. Be likable. Start on a good note and have the firm handshake! Be firm but not too firm and show them that you mean business. Also, always be honest. No employer wants to hire a liar, so do not falsely oversell yourself. Employers will notice if you are genuinely putting thought into your answers rather than rushing through or trying too hard to be impressive. Most interviewers will not get angry if you ask for clarification for a question or need a minute to think about it. Just be yourself. 

3) Stand out from the competition. Ultimately, the main reason for job interviews is to prove why you would be the right fit for the job, so try your best to do that! Be detailed rather than vague, know your strengths and weaknesses (they always come up), show that you have done your research, and let them know that you are passionate about this opportunity. Also, be sure to end on a positive note by sending a pleasant follow-up, and never forget to say thank you.

Photo Sources: 1

Zoe Nolz

Montclair '21

Zoe is a student at Montclair State University. She is the current Fashion and Beauty Editor for Her Campus Montclair. When she is not in class or doing work, you can catch her hanging with friends, shopping, writing, watching movies, drinking smoothies, just chilling or off on an adventure!
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.