This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

Mental health is such a hot topic lately, whether that be on social media, television programs or just our everyday conversations we have with friends.  We see it everywhere and we’re constantly told that taking care of our mental health should be a priority for us. So why is it that the thought of therapy freaks everyone out?  Would it freak you out even more if I said I go to therapy? Well, I do.

It may come as a shock to some of the people in my life, as I don’t often talk about it.  I guess the stigmas got in the way and I was unsure of how people would look at me once they knew I go to therapy.  The truth is, I just don’t care anymore. If someone wants to judge me for putting myself first, then by all means go ahead.  I’m proud of myself for making the decision to go.

I go to the on-campus counseling and psychological services at my school, which is free to all students.  It’s something that’s spoken about a lot, whether that be during freshman orientation, in workshops or even during finals week.  A lot of students struggle with something as simple as stress with balancing everything in their lives and we are always encouraged to seek out help if we feel we need to talk to someone about it.  That’s initially why I decided to go my freshman year.

It was scary at first, the idea of speaking to a stranger about what I was having trouble coping with.  I was afraid I would be judged and made fun of but over time, I realized that their job is to listen and offer advice, not to make me feel worse.  I eventually warmed up to the idea and found myself looking forward to the day when my session would come around. I stopped going for awhile, but I recently went back and I’m already seeing the results just a few weeks in.

I’m a strong advocate for therapy being something that belongs on everyone’s bucket list.  We take care of our physical health by exercising, so why shouldn’t we talk with a professional to take care of our mental health?  Talking with friends and family about certain issues definitely helps but sometimes you need a professional opinion and that’s ok, too.  You should never feel embarrassed about needing help from an outside source. I think that’s what therapy has taught me.

As much as the media advocates for mental health awareness, it also makes us think that therapy means you’re beyond repair.  That you need to be fixed. Movies and television shows paint pictures of dangerous people riddled with issues caused by mental illness and depict therapy as a resource designed only for them.  You don’t necessarily need to have a mental illness to go to therapy and even if you do have one, that doesn’t make you dangerous and it most certainly doesn’t make you broken.

The reason why I go is unimportant.  What’s important to me is the confidence I gain when I’m able to utilize what I learn in each session.  Therapy has been an eye opening experience that puts things into a perspective that I never considered before.  It’s that new perspective that gives me the push I need when I find myself stuck in the same thought cycle and not getting anywhere.  

Maybe the thought of therapy still freaks you out.  Maybe you don’t feel like you need to go. Maybe you do but you’re just too scared.  Take it from someone who has found so much relief from going, you won’t regret it. I definitely don’t.  I don’t think I ever will.

As a senior communication major, I have been provided with many opportunities to write on public platforms and share my voice with others. I'm so excited to be able to share more with the Her Campus community. I am passionate about things such as mental health, beauty, crafting and just about everything in between.