Wellness

We Should Appreciate Plants More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

Discloser: I am by no means an expert on the benefits of various plant species, but I just think it’s really cool how there are organisms on this earth that just grow and give us so many benefits. So I just want to share my thoughts on them.

First off, I love when my skincare products include plant-derived ingredients. It’s just so reassuring to read something simple like “sunflower seed oil” or “olive fruit oil” rather than some long chemical names that I, a biology major, cannot even identify even after taking several classes on scientific nomenclature. I have also found that the products I use now which use more plant-based ingredients to feel better on my skin and make it less dried out. I have always had very dry skin (to the point where my skin was so dry it would bleed), but now that I have started to look for products with ingredients that will specifically hydrate and trap the moisture to my face, it has become a lot more manageable. Right now a lot of my products contain sunflower seed oil, jojoba oil, safflower seed oil, and olive fruit oil. By far my favorite is my exfoliator though. I didn’t realize I was using exfoliators that were bad for my skin type until about a year ago when I finally found one that didn’t burn or hurt my face whenever I put it on. Right now I use this one by Acure and it is a lifesaver (not to mention the brand is vegan and cruelty-free!). I think the only thing that I love more than my exfoliator in terms of skin care is the fact that I switched over to using jojoba oil to wipe off my makeup instead of those makeup wipes. My orgo lab class actually came to some practical, real-world use, because it finally clicked that my ORGANIC based makeup products were not going to wipe off my face as easily using an AQUEOUS based makeup wipe compared to using an organic solvent like jojoba oil.

Another great thing about plants is how much better I feel when I eat them as opposed to animal derived products. I was raised a vegetarian, but when I was going into college, I started educating myself about what it means to be vegan and what the benefits are. After trying to cut down on my dairy intake for the past two years, I have definitely noticed a significant change. My energy levels, as well as my overall mood, when I choose to eat more whole foods, plant-based meals, as opposed to a meal with animal by-products like milk and cheese, is a lot better. I’m not going to preach about going vegan though since that would be hypocritical of me since I still consume dairy myself, but I have a lot of respect for those who are vegan and those who are trying.

I am working on getting more plants in my room because I like the idea that taking care of another being will also motivate me to take better care of myself. A little more oxygen in my room couldn’t hurt anyway! My mother loves to garden and for the longest time, I never understood her obsession with making our yard look perfect, especially since it costs so much money to do so. But now I have started to appreciate the beauty in nature, and have been cherishing such natural wonders, especially with our climate crisis. I’m afraid we’re going to become like that society in The Lorax where the people had never seen trees before! I used to laugh and think that could never happen. Nowadays I don’t think that future is very farfetched…

Subah Soni

Monmouth '21

I am a Senior Biology major with a concentration in molecular cell physiology. I'm a former RA and current SI leader for an intro Biology class. I do Cancer Cell Research and I volunteered abroad in Guatemala to help build a medical office. I'm passionate about the environment and living a positive, guilt-free lifestyle.