Wellness

Losing Weight During The School Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

Between free pizza given out at club meetings, late night junk food cravings at the library and endless options at the dining hall, the freshman fifteen can easily turn into quite a bit more than that. While it can be super easy to gain weight at college, keeping it off can be just as simple.

Walk EVERYWHERE

If you live on campus, chances are you are already doing this! Taking 10,000 steps a day, or walking about four miles, is recommended by most researchers and fitness trackers, such as a Fitbit. While that number may appear daunting, it really just means taking the long route to class a few times, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, or parking at the far end of the commuter parking lot.  

Carry a Water Bottle

People often confuse being hungry with being thirsty, so staying properly hydrated will prevent this from happening. Drinking a lot of water will also help you avoid drinks such as soda and sugary smoothies. Not only will carrying a reusable water bottle help you shed some pounds, it’s also great for saving the environment and money!

Make Healthy Choices in the Dining Hall

Ice cream, french fries, hamburgers, oh my! The dining hall is a strange smorgasbord with basically any food one could ever dream of. While the unhealthy food might seem tempting, it’s important to stick to balanced meals. The salad bar and grilled chicken station will be your new best friend! It’s definitely necessary to splurge in moderation though, so don’t be scared to eat something unhealthy once in a while!

While it is smart to keep a healthy lifestyle all of the time, it is also impossible. Life happens and it’s important to remember to not beat yourself up over little mistakes! Loving your body no matter what is crucial for physical and mental health.

Sara Sikora

Monmouth '19

Sara is a senior at Monmouth University, with a major in communications and a minor in psychology. She is also the social media director for Monmouth's Her Campus chapter! Sara can be found drinking copious amounts of coffee, at the beach or at a yoga class.