3 Easy Ways to Avoid the Freshman Fifteen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Molloy chapter.

It’s back to school time which also means it is no longer bikini season (phew!). Some of you may have achieved that hot summer bod, and others may still be working on it (I’m right there with you!) but that doesn’t mean you should stop caring about your health and fitness journey. Luckily, I have some helpful tips to make sure you eat just enough to fuel you through those long hours of Netflix… I meant studying, definitely studying.

Get excited about your meals!

Plan, plan, plan! It is very important to plan meals ahead of time. Whenever possible, pack your lunch, a snack and maybe dinner for the day or even the whole week. However, planning does not always have to constitute of packing your own lunch. If you buy food on-campus or off, you can still plan what you will consume. This ensures that you do not waste time deciding what you will eat, which may sometimes lead to poor choices or not eating at all. If you know Monday’s are dreadful for you, treat yourself to Moe’s, Chipotle or something that you truly enjoy. It can help you get through the day and keep that belly full!

Drink water

Sometimes, you are not hungry at all, you are just thirsty. Grab a super cute water bottle and keep it with you at all times, it’ll encourage you to stay hydrated more often. Although there is no definite amount of water you should drink per day, try to aim for half of your body weight in ounces. For example, if you weigh 126lbs you should drink 63oz of water. For every 30 minutes of exercise add a few more ounces. Staying hydrated can also promote smooth, glowing skin.

Healthy snacks are the best snacks

Who wouldn’t love to chow down on potato chips or cookies all day? Realistically, you should not have these as a snack because they will often leave you hungry for more. Pack your snacks in little plastic bags. It helps keep them organized and accessible.

Here are some low-calorie snacks that will keep you fuller, longer:

• Two tablespoons of light guacamole and celery stalks

• One hard boiled egg with seasoning

• A half cup of yogurt with some fruit

• One tomato with an ounce of cheese

• Watermelon with feta, one apple and nuts

Last but not least, get to know your body, eat when you are hungry. Do not ignore when your stomach is asking for food. Do not eat simply because you think you have to, that can lead to overeating; make sure you eat enough, you need energy to get through your classes, homework, and social life on campus. Make sure to workout, and keep the exercises fun. Grab a workout buddy and hit the (free) gym at Molloy or take a jog around campus.

Enjoy the semester and treat your body well, it’s the only one you have.

Make sure to share some of your snack ideas with us on our Twitter @hercampusmolloy !

Hi there! My name is Angelica Lopez and I am a business management major with a professional communications minor. I am currently a freshman at Molloy College and am involved in a variety of activities. I am part of MolloyLife Media, Business ambassadors, Molloy Business Channel, and on the Molloy College Dance team. In high school I was also on Varsity cheerleading all of my cheering years. I peer tutor, volunteer with autistic kids and special needs adults. I speak english, spanish, and some sign language. Some of my hobbies include: dancing, acting, making silly voices, shooting, skating, gymnastics, and goofing off.