Here are some habits I prioritize in my day to help me feel healthier and happier. Being aware of what you consume and put in your body makes a big difference in your overall well-being. 

Drink More Water

The first thing you should do when you wake up in the morning drink 8 ounces of water. Try this before your morning coffee to keep you hydrated. Before you go to bed at night, fill up your water bottle so it is ready right when you wake up. There are so many benefits that I’m sure you hear all the time about drinking enough water. Most of the time, your headache can be resolved by keeping hydrated. I recommend investing in a large water bottle to carry with you during the day. If you aren’t a fan of plain water or drinking enough water is hard for you, try adding in flavor packets such as Crystal Light to spice up your drink!

Get Some Sleep

Getting enough sleep at night makes a big impact on how you feel the next couple of days. Aim for 8 hours of quality sleep each night. It is best to avoid caffeine in the evening in order to gain proper sleep. Other factors such as alcohol can also disrupt your REM cycle while you sleep. Try to stick to a routine where you fall asleep and wake up at relatively the same time every day. This will keep your body on a schedule and help you feel well-rested when you wake up.

Get Exercising 

Exercise is not only beneficial for your physical health but your mental health as well. Moving your body releases endorphins and boosts your mood. Even if you do not regularly go to the gym or enjoy exercising, there are other ways you can get your body moving. Going on a walk, doing yoga, or stretching are great ways to take a break from the real world and clear your mind. Take at least 30 minutes of your day to take care of your body and mind.

Eat whole foods

Nutrition plays a large role in how we feel. Be aware of what you put in your body and how it makes you feel. Highly processed foods with additives and chemicals can be detrimental to your body. I’m not saying you should never eat these foods ever again but try to limit these as best you can. Eating fruits, vegetables, and other natural foods will nourish your body and make a great impact on how you feel. I always try to think food is fuel! Give your body what it needs and eat what you love.

Limit Phone time

This is a tough one because Tik Tok can be so addicting and trap you in for hours. One tip I have started is setting an app time limit on your phone for how long you may use an app in a day. I find myself mindlessly scrolling social media in my free time and have found it takes up so much of my day. I then proceed to believe I do not have enough time in my day to accomplish other tasks like homework or laundry etc. I started to notice how much time I waste while on my phone and am trying to make a change. Another habit I try to implement is to not check my phone when I first wake up. By doing this, I lay in bed much longer than I should be and it makes it harder to get up. Social media and technology can be a great tools in our lives but I have found overconsumption changes how I feel in a negative way.

Get writing

During your free time in your day or right before you go to bed, I challenge you to get a paper and pen and start writing. It can be a journal prompt, what you did that day, or how you feel. I’ve found writing my thoughts on paper is like therapy. I enjoy writing in my planner as well and use colorful pens to make it fun! If you are not a big writer, start by making lists or an agenda for your day. This will help keep you organized and keep track of your thoughts.

I am a junior at Minnesota State University Mankato. I am majoring in business management with a minor in entrepreneurship. I enjoy hanging out with friends, exercising and being outside. I just joined this semester and I am excited to get started!