Preparing Yourself for The Perfect Gym Workout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Going to the gym may be your most dreaded event of the day. It also may be the best part of your day. Either way you can prepare yourself to make it the most enjoyable time.

Making sure you have water.

It’s important to stay hydrated before and during your workout. Having your water nearby when you are doing your workout is helpful! Also, make sure you don’t go on an empty stomach, eating a quick snack before or a meal an hour before is perfect.

The right outfit.

If you’re like me wearing shorts while you plan to go on a run doesn’t always feel the greatest. Chafing is not so fun during or after your workout.  Also, it’s important to be in layers so that when you get hot you can shed them. Also, if you are doing a run, make sure you have the right shoes.

A towel.

It’s smart to bring a small hand towel with you to the gym. It’s nice to cover up the treadmill with it so that you don’t focus so much on you speed, how far you have gone, or how long you have been going. You won’t be focus on getting to the next even number, you will just go till you feel like you can’t anymore!

The Playlist.

The right music during a workout can push you to where you didn’t think your body could go. Weather its Apple Music, Spotify, or Pandora make sure you have the right music for your workout. If music doesn’t get you going try a Podcast or some Netflix. Watching something can distract you are you won’t realize you are working out.

Know what you are going to do.

Its intimidating going to the gym and seeing all the equipment and not know what to do. Go in with a plan, it’s smart to switch every other day with more of a HITT workout with weights and equipment and then the next day do some cardio. It’s important to have a purpose when you go to the gym.

Sammy is what you would call a Student Solider. She is in the Army and also a Senior at MNSU. Her major is Mass Media and her minor is Communication Studies. She is from Cottage Grove, MN and enjoys her weekends in the cities. She enjoys being the Her Campus MNSU Chapters Campus Correspondent and also Young Life. She wishes that fall season was year round, but living in Minnesota she will have deal with all the seasons it brings.