This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Night time. My favorite part of the day. A time for me to unwind, reflect on my day, and prepare for another wonderful day tomorrow. My night time routine is crucial for staying sane during my crazy, busy life. Between working full time and taking 18 credits for school, night time is really how I keep it all together and give my mind a break. Here is what the routine entails, and why you should pick up a few of these habits.

Step One: take off your bra, put on your baggiest sweatshirt and sweatpants, and put on your favorite pair of slippers. Changing out of work clothes, or as I call them “get sh*t done clothes,” can be the most comforting feeling. Next, I like to light a candle or turn on an essential oil diffuser with some lavender. My go-to candle is the aromatherapy candle from Bath and Body Works in the scent Stress Relief. I pull out my planner and check over the day. If I missed anything important, I’ll take some time to complete the task. If I realize it can wait until tomorrow, it will. Then I flip the page to tomorrow and prepare for anything coming up. Usually I write down what homework I need to get done, house chores, and a workout. The tasks on my to-do list can be very small, like making my bed or packing a lunch, but it is rewarding to cross them off. Along with writing in my planner, I plug in my laptop and get my outfit ready for the morning. These simple steps save me so much time for the next day. 

Now let’s get into the good stuff. (Personally, I’m not a night showerer, but if you are, go ahead and do that before we move on.) Okay good! Now we’re on the same page. Grab your favorite skin care products, wash and moisturize your face, and tell yourself how beautiful you are in your bare skin. You deserve it. You are a work of art. I like to use the Cetaphil gentle face wash and moisturizer. Then I add some eye cream and chapstick and move on to brushing my teeth. Once my skincare and bathroom routine is complete I head to grab a glass of water before going to my room. 

This next step is important. I do the last of my social media scrolling, set my alarm for the morning, and then I put my phone away. Did you read that? Put it away! Scrolling through social media right before bed will place thoughts of comparison, jealousy, or any other negative thoughts into your mind right before sleep. Sleep is a time for your mind and body to rest, not be consumed by thoughts of others. 

Once your phone is away, it’s time to either read, journal, breathe, or do whatever you feel is best to simply let your mind wander into its own universe. Writing what I’m thankful for or how my day went is a great place to start when practicing mindfulness and journaling. If you need a simple breathing technique start with this: 4 counts of breathing in, hold for 4, let out for 4, and hold that for 4 counts. Do this a few times or until you feel most relaxed. Remind yourself of how strong you are for not only getting through another day, but conquering it too! Put a few drops of lavender on your pillow and wrists, and turn out the lights. Sweet dreams! 

I am a marketing major with a graphic design minor graduating in May 2021. I enjoy traveling, drinking coffee, and staying active.