Love Your Body, You Only Get One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Whether you believe in God, another higher power, evolution or you think humans came out of thin air, there is one thing no one can deny: we only get one body. We only get one chance at this crazy thing called life in that body. Now, I know you can get replacements, that’s not what I am talking about here. I am talking about every human being loving their body. The human body is an amazing thing. It can do things that most other bodies can’t. It gives us the ability to fully accomplish anything we want – we just need to try hard enough. It adapts, it changes, ages, stretches, bends, folds and moves in ways many people will never understand.

So why is it that so many people hate their bodies? This epidemic is not only an American issue, it’s an issue that people all over the world face. I believe we all need to love our bodies more- and by doing so we will love ourselves more. We need to stop being scared of all the bad things that could happen and start wondering about all the amazing things our bodies can do for us. We need to stop wasting our talents by sitting on the couch, watching TV. We need to use the opportunity we are given by going out and using our bodies to our advantage. We need to find out what we are truly capable of. I bet most people would be amazed.

Having the “perfect” body shouldn’t be a goal in life. Having YOUR perfect body should. Whether that’s short, tall, lean, thick, muscley, boney or anything in-between. You are all perfect. No matter your gender, weight, height, skin tone, if you are a human being, you are perfect. Some bodies were made to run, some walk, others were made to lift weights. No matter what your body is made to do, it is amazing. You are amazing, and NO ONE should EVER tell you any different.

The only thing you need to do to have the “perfect” body is to take care of your body the best you know how. It’s one of the only things you don’t get to retry in life. As long as you love your body, it is perfect and you are perfect.  

Elizabeth is a Minnesota State University, Mankato Senior, and the Vice President of Her Campus MNSU. She is a strong supporter of equality for women in the work place, and in life. She wants to be one of many to help shatter the glass ceiling, and close the confidence gap. Elizabeth was born and raised in the heart of Minnesota, and can be found spending most of her time outside doing any of the miraculous adventures that the state of Minnesota offers.