neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Tips for Avoiding College Burnout – How to Stay Happy, Healthy and Sane

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

It’s that time of the semester again when it seems that all you do is stress about the overwhelming number of things you need to get done. Trust me, you’re not alone in all this stress and exhaustion you’re feeling because unfortunately, this has become the norm for college students. We face an immense pressure to succeed on an almost daily basis, causing mental, emotional and physical exhaustion. College students are constantly worrying about all the assignments that need to be completed, the tests they need to study for, and on top of it all, balancing a job to avoid going completely broke.

With so many things on their plates, it’s a wonder more college students don’t go insane. Mental health is important, so try not to stress out too much. Here are 5 tips to help you avoid that feeling of burnout that is all too common in college students these days.

1.     Stay organized. If you don’t already have one, get a planner and use it! During all of the stress and craziness of college, it’s easy to overlook things or double book yourself, so prioritizing and planning are key to keeping yourself organized.

2.     Set reasonable goals for yourself. Whether they are daily, weekly, or even monthly, make sure the goals you set are reasonable and that you will actually be able to achieve them. I find it helpful to set goals by making a list of all the things that I need to get done each day or each week. Once I have completed those tasks, anything I get done above and beyond the list is just a bonus.

3.     Take study breaks. It may seem contradictory to your plan of getting as much done in as little time as possible, but it is proven that breaks are essential for success. A span of “perfect productivity” is considered to be 52 minutes of working followed by a 17 minute break. However, if that pattern doesn’t quite fit your needs, consider taking a 5 minute break every 25 minutes. Any break is better than no break at all!

4.     Stay healthy. Working out and eating a healthy diet are keys to staying motivated and successful in college. I know, it’s easier said than done, but consciously making healthy choices for yourself can make a world of difference in your college experience.

5.     Find time for yourself. Even if it’s just 5 minutes a day. Stop what you are doing, take a few deep breaths and do something you enjoy. Whether it’s listening to music, meeting up with a friend, taking a quick walk, or watching an episode of a show you enjoy – do it, you won’t regret it.

My name is Ashley Braun and I am a junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato. I love traveling, cooking, being artsy, and spending time with my friends and family.
Hannah is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato and one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC MNSU chapter. She is currently double majoring in Marketing and Business Management with a Minor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation.