Pros and Cons of Having a Dog at School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

If you’re anything like me, your most missed family member when you left for college was definitely your dog. Sure, parents and siblings are great, but what’s better than a furry friend to greet you with excited kisses when you come home from class? Personally, dogs brighten my mood enormously, so I’ve been looking into buying a dog or being a foster dog mom here at school. However, I had the opportunity of having my dog at my apartment for a week, and while it was a ton of fun, there are definitely downsides to it. Here are some pros and cons of having a dog live with you at school:

Pro: Dogs provide great company and entertainment.

Live by yourself or your roommates are gone often? Your furry friend is definitely great company to combat loneliness. They’re attentive and are always looking to hang out with you, even when no one else can.

Con: You have to factor time in your schedule to take care of them.

I’m the person who is always in a rush when I’m heading out the door. When I had my dog with me, I was running late but had to remember that my poor pup was about to be locked in my apartment for a few hours, so I knew I had to take her outside and feed her before I left. Also, I had to alter my schedule so I could be home with her more often so she didn’t feel abandoned; I usually stay on campus between my classes throughout the day, but instead, I trekked home in between each one so she wouldn’t be alone.

Pro: Dogs are living stress-relief providers.

Do you get automatically excited and start smiling when you see a cute dog walking down the street? Yeah, me too. Having a dog at school can provide stress-relief and boost your mood when you’re having a tough week. According to this article, the companionship and comfort dogs can offer is proven to reduce stress, anxiety and depression.

Con: Dogs are a huge financial responsibility.

Even if you purchase a dog from a shelter and it costs less, the expenses of having a dog can really add up. You’ll have to pay for its shots, vet visits, food, toys and kenneling it if you go out of town. Also, because dogs are living beings, there can be unforeseen costs if your pet gets sick, eats something it shouldn’t or causes damage. As college students, most of us don’t have emergency money laying around that we can spend on our dogs.

Pro: Dogs promote a healthier lifestyle.

According to the People and Pets Exercising Together study, physical activity and the health of both people and pets is higher when you own a pet. I know that I got my steps in when my dog was visiting! It was great to spend some more time outside power-walking the campus area. Plus, it made me happy to see other students excited to see my dog, because I knew that getting her out and about brightened other people’s days, too.

Con: Your dog may not have the quality of life at school as it does at home.

This is a big one for me. At home, my energetic pup is free to roam our huge yard as much as she wants. She can stretch her legs, get tons of fresh air and be in her own territory. Those things just weren’t possible in a 650 square foot apartment and city traffic on the streets. I knew she was excited to be on a little vacation and explore new spaces, but she was so happy to be back in her house. Of course, all dogs are different and require different care; if you have a small dog, they may be great in an apartment! But my fit, high-energetic pit bull/boxer mix isn’t happy being pent up in a small space all day. You have to think about your pet’s quality of life, not just your own.

Overall, it was great fun to have my dog visit for the week, but that experience showed me that I can’t have my own dog at this point in my life. Though I’d love the company of a furry friend, I’ll have to stick with eagerly petting dogs I see on the street. However, if you feel compelled to have a dog at school, go for it! There’s great benefits to having a pet and there are great options for purchasing a dog in the area. Please consider checking out the Animal Humane Society in the Twin-Cities; you can foster a pet or give one its fur-ever home!

Natalee is a sophomore at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities. Despite being a girl from Green Bay in Vikings territory, she loves her Minnesota home.
Anna Rosin

Minnesota

I'm from St. Louis, Missouri and I'm currently going to school at the University of Minnesota, located in Minneapolis.