The Power of Positivity: Meet Lulu Bauermeister

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Lulu Bauermeister is a sophomore here at the University of Minnesota. A Minneapolis native, she is the embodiment of “Minnesota nice.” She’s studying Physiology with minors in Public Health and Leadership. Lulu is naturally bubbly and is drawn to human connection; it’s almost impossible for her to go anywhere without running into a friend. She’s constantly serving as a source of energy and positivity to others, and I needed to know what exactly inspires her and where her drive comes from. So, she made space in her busy Google Calendar to meet up with me and here’s what she had to say:

Q: I know you are involved in a lot of different activities on campus. What are you involved in and how has that involvement enhanced your experience at the U?

A: The Leadership Minor department and LEAD-UP Programs has allowed me to make connections on a deeper level with individuals from all niches of the U. Additionally, I have acquired insight about my personal leadership style, learned techniques to directly apply concepts into my communities and figured out ways to integrate leadership into my everyday lifestyle. First Year Leadership Institute (FYLI) and Leadership in Careers (LinC) have provided me opportunities to learn directed leadership and gain relevant skills for the future; more importantly, they provided me a chance to give back as a mentor and as the new LinC Co-Coordinator.

Right now, medicine is my passion and it truly energizes me. I’m in Minnesota Medical Leaders, which is a tight-knit group of 30 pre-medicine students who possess similar values and goals as I do. By having discussions of substance like homelessness in healthcare, the ACA, health disparities in the LGBTQIA community and race medicine, my perspective has only grown and developed. My experiences in the Undergraduate Surgery Interest Group have prompted me to explore the possibility of entering the field of surgery to make a tangible impact on my future patients.

I’m proud to be in the College of Liberal Arts, because I believe that embodying its core values will allow me to be a successful global citizen. My experience as a freshman was quite challenging and a bit overwhelming, which inspired me to be a CLA Section Leader for 20 pre-health freshmen in the First Year Experience course. Being a Welcome Week Leader was also a great experience that combined my energetic attitude and passion for meeting new people.

I have truly loved being involved in The University Running Club because I’ve always felt welcomed and incorporated in the community. No matter the event, there will always be fellow athletes supporting and cheering me on. I never would have thought I would get the chance to meet and compete against 100s of athletes from all different states in meets at the University of Illinois and Indiana University, but TURC has allowed me to gain those experiences.

In high school, I was the last person you would expect to join a sorority, but there’s no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone. As a member of the Greek community and Chi Omega, my experiences have only been advantageous to all aspects of my life. I have benefited immensely from being apart of a community of well-rounded and ambitious women. I have been inspired to do even better and do more so as to not disappoint others for my personal failures and shortcomings. I am constantly surrounded by strong women who are doing such a range of meaningful activities on campus, which has instilled a drive within me to be more ambitious and the best I can be both currently and in the future.

Q: What factors in your life influence your interests/involvement?

A: The biggest factors that influence my interests and involvement is my desire to gain new experiences, continuously seek adventure, and take advantage of opportunities as they arise. Knowledge is infinite and I want to strive to constantly keep learning throughout my life whether it be gaining knowledge about other cultures and communities or trying new things.

Q: What is your dream job/future aspirations?

A: My dream job is to become a doctor, which encompasses my passion for helping others and my drive to continuously learn. Although unrealistic and quite ambitious, I aspire to open a clinic abroad to help alleviate the global health disparities in orphanages.

Q: Do you have a role model? If so, who and why are they inspiring to you?

A: My role model is my mom because she has exemplified strength beyond measure as someone who has demonstrated the meaning of overcoming adversity. Cancer sucks and it certainly doesn’t discriminate who it affects next. First, my mom lost her dad to cancer and then cancer took her husband in the exact same way. Despite several uncontrollable challenges and unforeseen losses, she has continued past them to make impacts locally, nationally and globally.  

Q: What is the best advice you’ve ever gotten?

A: The advice I integrate into my everyday decision making is to live everyday as if it were my last. By seeing the external world through an optimistic and positive lens, I can internally interpret it all as opportunities for new experiences. Life is so short and I want to maximize every second of it.

Q: What advice do you have for students who want to be successful?

A: My advice for being successful is to take advantage of networking in college because you will never be in a more conducive environment for making connections so easily. Never disregard a relationship, because life works in mysterious ways and pathways may cross in the future.

Just For Fun

Q: Coffee order?

A: I usually don’t drink coffee but I like bubble tea from Chai Time or a strawberry acai refresher with coconut milk from Starbucks.

Q: Favorite food?

A: I love food but my classic favorites are Chipotle or a sushi burrito from SotaRol.

Q: Favorite song right now?

A: I can’t decide!

Q: One thing you can’t live without?

A: Traveling and adventures.

Q: One thing you love about yourself?

A: My love for meeting new people.

Q: One thing you’re grateful for?

A: Doggies/pooches.

Q: Favorite inspirational quote?

A: “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” – Mahatma Gandhi.

Q: Favorite spot on campus and why?

A: My favorite spot on campus is the Knoll area because I can set up my hammock and relax or study there if the weather is nice!

Q: Favorite Social Media Platform and why?

A: Instagram, because a pictures worth a thousand words.

So there you have it, folks! Always continue to nurture and form relationships and grow through your passions!

Anna Rosin

Minnesota

I'm from St. Louis, Missouri and I'm currently going to school at the University of Minnesota, located in Minneapolis.