This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

At last, finals are over. All of the hours of hard work and nights when you sacrificed your social life to do homework (okay, maybe there should have been a couple more of those nights) have hopefully paid off. Now that finals are over, it’s time to prioritize self-care and take some time to de-stress. Here are a few ideas for getting your holiday off to a relaxing start…

Yoga

Yoga is found to be potentially effective in helping with depression, anxiety, stress, and PTSD because of its mind and body interaction. The breathing used in yoga can help you get to a peaceful state of mind, while the movement can either be relaxing or challenging depending on what kind of workout you’re looking for. There are many different styles of yoga, so be sure to try to a few classes to find out which ones are beneficial to you. The rec center’s group fitness classes may be closed, but check out Yoga Sol’s schedule to find a class that fits your schedule and interests. The best part is that it’s donation-based, so you simply pay what you can! If you’re crunched on time, find a quick video to Youtube with one of my favorites, Yoga with Adriene.

Meditation

Meditation is one of those things that you’re going to be awful at the first few times you try it, but once you get good, it’s incredibly relaxing. If you’re like me, you’ll sit down, close your eyes, play some music that makes it sound like you’re on a beach in Hawaii, and try to clear your thoughts. It’ll work for about three seconds and then you’ll just spend the rest of the time thinking about chicken wings. You’re suppose to acknowledge when a thought pops into your head and move around it, but how can you just stop thinking about chicken wings? Don’t let this discourage you though, because like anything in life, practice makes perfect (or close to perfect)! You can try guided meditation on your own or go to one of the meetings held by the Mindfulness for Students organization at the U!

Coloring books

If you’re in need of some creativity stimulation, try coloring in an adult coloring book! There are more and more studies being done to legitimize the claims that this method is effective in stress reduction. It allows you to hit the pause button on life and just focus on which color you should use next in your masterpiece.

Hydrate

Now that you’ve gotten through three exams, four papers, two presentations, and a lab report on coffee and energy drinks, it’s very important to make sure you hydrate yourself with water! Your body needs water in order to function, so how do you expect to feel if your vital organs are drowning with espresso? If you’re dehydrated, you’re going to have higher levels of cortisol, meaning you’ll have a higher level of stress. Make sure you’re getting your full amount of water everyday, which is a half ounce to an ounce per pound that you weigh.

Healthy eating

Along the lines of hydration, eating healthy is vital to making sure that your body is working in tip-top shape. Make sure you’re getting all of your fruits and veggies because they boost your immune system and load you up with tons of vitamins. Try to cut back on your foods high in fat, like meat and cheese, and foods that are high in sugar, because these will make you crash and burn. This doesn’t mean that you have to go on a juice detox, because from personal experience, those cleanses are the worst thing ever created. Eating healthy is a great way to cleanse your body after too many grab n’ go meals during finals week. 

Aromatherapy

Essential oils have been used for hundreds of years to help with problems such as insomnia, depression, injuries and stress. Just taking a whiff of a particular aromatherapy scent can change your mood and help you relax by slowing your brain down. Some scents to try to help destress during finals would be peppermint, lavender and chamomile.

Hot baths

If you’re lucky enough to have your own bathtub, be sure to take a hot bath or two post-finals week. The warm temperature will help release toxins and relaxes your nervous system. You can add in some aromatherapy drops, like mentioned earlier, or you can try a bath bomb from Lush and soak in a bath meant for a queen.

Get a massage

Massages are so beneficial for stress reduction and for your overall well-being. Both serotonin and dopamine are released during a massage, which basically makes you chill the heck out. Yes, I know that they’re a little bit more pricey compared to the other tips on this list, but sometimes you need to splurge and treat yo’self to a little pampering. Boynton has a massage therapist who charges students $55 for a one hour session, otherwise you can check out Massage Envy which charges $50 for your first hour!

Finals are over, and you gave this semester your very best. Now it’s time to show yourself some love with a little (or a lot) of much needed relaxation and self-care. Enjoy! 

Erin Gallagher is a sophomore at the University of Minnesota studying child psychology. Her dream job is being a therapist for adolescents and helping them through their difficult times. In her freetime, she loves to lift weights at the gym and see movies with her friends. Follow her on Instagram to see what she's up to! @eringallagher96