This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Coconut oil is one of life’s most versatile hidden gems. It has a wide variety of uses; you can put it in your hair or on your face or use it for daily tasks. I’ve compiled some of the most beneficial uses below so you can see just how amazing it is.

1.Acne reducer

Coconut oil acts as a natural antibiotic that kills harmful bacteria that causes acne. By rubbing a teaspoon of it on your face each night you’ll clear up any acne you have right away.

2. Weight loss

Need help losing the freshman 15? Coconut oil is a great way to do so. The medium chain fatty acids found in coconut oil have been found to help your body burn fat for energy and lose weight. All you need to do is add a tablespoon a day to your diet.

3. Coffee creamer

Trying to quit dairy but can’t drink coffee without cream? Coconut oil is the perfect solution. By adding a spoonful of coconut oil to your coffee, you’ll find it replaces cream and gives you an extra boost of energy. To make it creamier you can put coffee and coconut oil in a blender. If you like your coffee sweeter, you can add sugar or other ingredients to taste.

4. Skin moisturizer

With cold Minnesota winters, we often find our skin drying out. Coconut oil works as a moisturizer because it absorbs quickly and isn’t greasy. Before bed, rub a small amount onto your face and let it sit for about five minutes and wipe the remnants off. You can also rub it anywhere on your body as soon as you get out of the shower. You’ll soon find your skin is soft and has a natural glow.

5. Makeup remover

It’s hard to find a makeup remover that doesn’t dry out your skin or burn your eyes. However, by gently rubbing coconut oil onto your makeup then wiping it off you’ll discover it completely cleans your face.

6. Lip balm

Similar to how our skin dries out from the cold, the same happens to our lips. Coconut oil can be used as a lip balm because it keeps your lips feel moisturized and looking shiny all day. You can also use it before applying your favorite lipstick for an additional shine.

7. Hair treatment

Coconut oil can be used for literally anything involving your hair. It can be shampoo if mixed with apple cider vinegar that will leave your hair soft and shiny. It can work as a conditioner because it strengthens your hair while also helping it retain moisture. Coconut oil also prevents dandruff and encourages new hair growth. Make sure you rinse it out well though to ensure your hair doesn’t look greasy.

8. Makeup brush cleaner

Sick of cleaning your makeup brushes? Coconut oil can fix that. Rub it on your brushes and let it sit for 1-2 hours then rinse well. You don’t have to worry if there’s leftover oil on it though, because coconut oil won’t harm your skin.

Have I convinced you to purchase coconut oil yet? If so, you can find it here at Target!

Emily Monday

Minnesota '20

Proud Wisconsinite and die hard Packer fan. Avid coffee drinker, dog lover, and Netflix binge watcher.