This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

School is in full swing and so are the stressors that come with it: homework, exams, studying, and the list goes on. It may feel like you have no time to breathe, but fear not! I have your self-care guide for your best school year yet.  

Socialize

Yes, I know what you’re thinking, it’s easier said than done, especially if you’re shy like me. Being social doesn’t always mean being in huge groups trying to keep up with the conversation. It can also mean something as simple as a nice conversation with your roommate or asking the girl next to you about something you just don’t get in class (a potential new friend!). Isolating yourself for too long can feel like you’re trapped and alone and trust me, you do not want to feel that. Alone time is healthy, but just don’t let it become a 24/7 thing. Almost every time I socialize, even if it’s a quick interaction, my mood gets uplifted. People need people! 

Exercise

Listen, I have a love and hate relationship with exercise, but there’s one thing I do know and that’s how good I feel after. This especially helps when I feel like I’m in a rut and I’ve been staring at one homework assignment for entirely too long. I personally enjoy running, but I know that makes many people shudder and that’s honestly understandable. Find your groove and try out a bunch of exercises. You never know what you might like! Even a walk around the block can lift your mood a ton. Here at Millersville, we even have fitness classes that make working out super fun. I promise, exercise CAN be fun! 

Mental Health

Your mental health is one of the most important things you need to take care of, especially during the school year! Unfortunately, mental health professionals can be pricey, but many campuses have counselling centers that you can go to for free. Talking through your issues can be helpful for so many, and I can attest to that as well. They’re here for you! Also, having friends who support you and can be a listening ear is always good, especially during times where it may be 2 AM and your therapist just isn’t an option. If talking isn’t your style, journaling is also a great outlet. For me, if I’m feeling overwhelmed, I just write out my feelings in a journal and afterwards I feel so much better.

Positive Mindset

Sometimes we may find ourselves being a little Negative Nancy (myself included) and that can really mess with our everyday lives. I think it’s best to remember whatever we put out in the world, comes back to us. So, when we put out negativity, that’s what we get in our lives and we don’t want that. I’m still working on this myself, but rule of thumb is to begin to recognize when we are being negative and then flip that thought into a positive one. For example: “My hair looks so bad today” can turn into “My hair may not be the best, but at least I’m rocking this outfit today!” It’s the little things that we can do for ourselves that count.  

I hope this guide helps you become the best version of yourself this school year. You got this! 

HCXO, 

Brianna 

All Images Courtesy of Google Images and Giphy

The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3