This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Sometimes life can get the better of us. When those times happen, there are several things that we can do to overcome stressful times. Below you will find my 10 best tips that I use to help get me through stressful times and help me better manage my life and time.

Take a Step Back

This could mean going for a walk just to calm down or listening to some calming music. For me, taking a step back means to put everything else on hold and work on or think about something that is important to me. Putting things in perspective can sometimes be hard, but it doesn’t have to be. Every day I take the same route to and from my dorm room. I look at the quad and see how big of a campus I am on. I say to myself “I am in college and I am doing what I have always wanted to do.” It can be shocking sometimes when you take a look at where you are now compared to where you were a year ago. Take time to reflect and look into your situtation. 

Talk to Someone

Take 15 minutes of your day to call, text, Facetime, messenger pigeon, snail mail, or talk to someone who is important to you. My boyfriend and I have conflicting schedules, but I make sure to get 15 minutes to talk to him every day. Even if you don’t have time to talk to someone, let them know that you are thinking about them. Talking to other people about things that are not about you can help you take your mind off troublesome things. On the contrary, venting to someone is also a great way to let all of your thoughts out. Your friends and family are there to support you and help you out. If you need more help, there are therapists and doctors that you can talk to. Millersville Univeristy offers so many ways for students to get help. Our counseling center offers students five FREE sessions per semester. There are also lots of groups like the peer educators and health center that can guide you to getting the right type of care.

Create a Schedule

I’m not a calendar and planner type of person, but my planner has saved my life this year, as has my phone calendar. I write down every event, meeting or assignment I have. In my planner I cross off the assignments I have done so that I don’t get overwhelmed. My phone calendar allows me to see when I have available time so that I don’t overwork myself or double book events or meetings. I use my reminder app to set up credit card or tuition payments. My school planner helps me keep track of assignments. My whiteboard calendar is there for major events. It helps a lot to organize your time and be able to visually see when you hae available time, assignments or any other responsibilities coming up.

Read

Reading for fun is a lost art nowadays. I used to read for fun a lot. I don’t really have time to anymore, but I do have time to read the news every day because I get to pick and choose, and I can take just a couple of minutes to do so. If you are like me and want to get back into leisure reading try my method, pick one book that you want to read and try to finish it in a month. You can gradually shorten or elongate that time with each book. It gives you the chance to read on your time. Reading can be helpful because depending on the type of reading you do, it can take yor mind to a different place. That’s what I love about reading the most. It takes my mind to a different place. One of my favorite authors is Paulo Cohello and his entire style of writing does just that. 

Invest in Sleep

I don’t mean take 5 naps a day. I mean invest in things that will give you a good night sleep. This could be anything from sleepy time tea to silk pillowcases. I recently invested in a pair of headphones on amazon and they changed my life. 10/10 recommend. Click here to check them out. I finally tuned out noisy neighbors. My next investment is going to be some silky matching pajamas. The app Sleep Cycle is also a must have to change your sleeping habits. It can help you see how often you wake up and analyze the quality of sleep you are getting. Many people also choose to invest in blackout curtains to really get a dark room. Remember the best sleep setting is a room that is dark and between 60 and 70 degrees. Your bed should be reserved only for sex, sleep and relaxing activities. 

Don’t Procrastinate

I know that people say this all the time, but it is true. The longer that you put things off, the more difficult it will be to take care of them when they are needed. For me, I do things based on the amount of time they take. If something is quick and easy, I will do it before class or during my free time. If something takes more effort and time, then I will schedule and dedicate time to handle it. Putting my tasks to the last minute is never a good idea.

Get Help when Needed

This is something I still struggle with. For a long time, I did not want to see a therapist. I thought that I could fix things on my own. The one time I got insurance for a brief period, I finally found a therapist that accepted it. I immediately made an appointment. I had two sessions before my insurance was canceled. Those two sessions were the most helpful things I had in months. I waited 4 years before I finally got professional help. It was a mistake to wait that long. Don’t be like me and wait. If you can get professional help, then do it. They are there to help you. I had adjustment issues and my therapist helped me. It is absolutely okay to get help. Everyone needs help.

Have Something for Yourself

Treat yo self! The best way to feel good about yourself and your daily life is to have something that makes you feel good every day. For me, that is a pair of white shoes. Yes, I wear white after Labor Day. I love white shoes because they go with everything and so I never have to worry about my outfits. I do worry about matching my socks to my shirt and my headbands. Weird flex, I know. In all seriousness, having something that is uniquely you will help you feel better about yourself daily. Have something that is uniquely you!

Try New Things

Boring people don’t try new things. Fun people try new things. I started college again after transferring and I joined so many things and ended up narrowing it down to the things that I felt the most comfortable with. I even tried MATCHA! I tried new foods and smoothies and desserts. I try food the most, but it is important to try new things. If you are in a new area, explore. Exploring can be a good way to get familiar with your surroundings even if that means just going for a drive.

Have Fun

Don’t overthink your life every single day. It makes it harder to live when your mind is constantly bustling with thoughts and ideas. Take a breather. Have fun! Go to that party (safely). Eat that weird unicorn donut! Try a trend. Do whatever you feel is best for yourself and only yourself. In the end, you have to take care of yourself to be the best you that you can be!

Life comes at you sometimes when you least expect it. Sometimes you really have to take two steps back and one giant leap forward. Take your own route and create your own pace. Life will find a way.

If you have any more ideas or thoughts about how you cope with your daily life, feel free to share them with me on my Instagram: @carvelo420. I hope to hear your ideas.

That’s all I have to say about that.

HCXO,

Cecilia

Cecilia Arvelo

Millersville '22

Cecilia is a Senior at Millersville University. She is a Secondary Education major concentrated in Social Studies. In her free time, she loves to read, watch movies, drive around and explore. She loves writing for Her Campus, being a part of Campus Trendsetters, and exploring all of Her Campus's opportunities.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3