This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Finally! We’ve arrived to one of my favorite times of the year and Fall is here! You know what that means: leaves changing, pumpkins everywhere (in our drinks, on our plates, as decorations), soup season, cozy sweaters, and so many other wonderful things that all fit together perfectly to make this possibly the best season ever.

The start of Fall also means the semester is fully underway, and midterms are just around the corner. Projects, papers, and exams are upon us, friends. But fear not! There are some things that you can do to make this crazy time much easier on yourself. Put on your fuzzy socks, grab your favorite Fall drink, and buckle up!

First things first: figure out your schedule. Make a list, chart, spreadsheet, whatever you have to do to create a visual calendar of your weekly events. If your work or class schedule varies, you may need to do this on a weekly basis, but it’s important to know when exactly you are busy and when you have free time. After you have that done, move onto the next step.

Now, look at the schedule you made. Make note of free times that you have throughout the week and figure out how much time you will need to complete your assignments. Some classwork can be done in an hour or two, and some bigger projects may need to be spread out over a week or several weeks. Next, make note of when you are free. Chunk your time into hour or half an hour blocks of when you are going to study or do other classwork. When you are sitting down to do your work, it’s best to put your phone on silent so you can be completely focused, since this is your best chance to be productive.

I also want to note that when you have unexpected free time, you should try to squeeze in a little bit of work. Even if it’s just glancing at the required reading for the week or studying for five minutes for an exam, make your time work for you. It can be surprising how much extra time you may have and not even realize it. This can be between classes, before going to bed, or whenever. The point is: use your time wisely!

Another great way to manage your workload is by using the resources available to you. If you are struggling to grasp a topic, contact your university’s tutoring center. If you need to improve your writing skills, check to see if your school has a writing center like Millersville’s. Colleges usually provide tons of free (read: you already paid for them) resources to help ensure their students’ success. Use them!

Perhaps the most important thing to do when you are feeling overworked is to take some time for yourself. This may seem counterintuitive considering it eats up some of the time to get your work done, but I have found that practicing self-care actually makes you feel like you have more time overall! When you are not taking enough breaks or making time to do the things you really love, it can lead to boredom, unhappiness, and even burnout, in the long-term. So read a book, go out with friends, take a whimsical nature walk, whatever you need to do to feel more like yourself!

For the extra hard days, reach out to others for help. This is good for schoolwork, sure. Starting a study group or asking your professor or a classmate questions can be a great way to gain a better understanding of the material. However, I’m also talking about your mental and social health. One of the most important parts of managing stress is to not go through it alone! Talk to your family, friends, and if necessary, reach out to your college or university’s counseling services. For example, Millersville’s counseling services offer up to five sessions per semester for all current students.

Lastly, remember to have fun! College is a time for growth. We all make mistakes and even fail sometimes, but we learn resilience along the way. We’re here to learn, and if we were all perfect all the time, then what would be the point anyway? So keep working hard, keep making mistakes, keep learning everything you can, and by the time graduation rolls around, you’ll look back and wonder how it all flew by so fast.

HCXO,

Autumn

Autumn Schmoel

Millersville '23

Hi! I'm Autumn, a senior at Millersville University majoring in business administration and minoring in entrepreneurship. I’m also the bonding coordinator for Millersville’s chapter of Her Campus. I love reading, writing, and crafting (you name it)!