neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

It’s officially that time of the semester where everyone is overloaded with homework and exams, stressed about next semester along with the stress of the current semester, and exhausted physically and mentally. Even though it seems like you should be spending all of your time either going to class, going to work, or doing homework, it’s important to take some time to take care of your mental health.

This is relevant to anyone, whether or not you have been diagnosed with a mental health disorder. Your brain and your body simply need a break sometimes, especially during these stressful last few weeks of the semester. Don’t force yourself to keep going by reminding yourself that Thanksgiving break is almost here – that’s still a whole week for you to totally overwhelm yourself.

Image courtesy of Texas Public Radio

Taking a day off to focus on your mental health is something that’s needed by everyone, and can look different for everybody. One person may stay in bed all day, and another might go to a park and take a long walk in the fresh air. Whatever allows you to relax and feel refreshed is what you should do when you need a break from life.

Here are some things you should be paying attention to with your own body, and if you notice them occurring frequently, a mental health day might be needed for you.

You’re having trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, but you’re exhausted.

According to Women’s Health Magazine, being mentally overworked leads to physical exhaustion, and severe exhaustion can actually lead to an inability to sleep. If you notice that you’re constantly tired but you aren’t sleeping at night, it’s a good idea to take a day to get some real sleep and recharge.

You’re feeling sad and can’t cheer yourself up.

Image courtesy of Mashable.com

Sometimes, when we’re really stressed or tired, we find that it’s a lot easier to focus on the negatives instead of the positives, and therefore we’re a lot more gloomy that usual. Try to do something that you enjoy and that makes you happy for a while. Making good memories or enjoying yourself can be a lot more powerful than sad thoughts. Be careful, though; if you notice that your sad thoughts aren’t going away and you feel constantly upset, you could be experiencing symptoms of depression, and it might be a good idea to talk to your doctor or a psychologist.

You’re moving in slow motion.

When you’re tired, you become sluggish. You don’t move as fast and you can’t seem to make yourself move faster, either. The best thing you can do for yourself in this situation is to drink lots of water – not coffee! Psychologist Alicia Clark explained that drinking too much caffeine and not enough water leads to dehydration, so it’s better to avoid coffee or soda in favor of water when you’re feeling this way.

There are many other signs for the need to take a mental health day, and they all vary depending on different people. No one knows your body better than you do, so you’re the only one who can really determine if something’s wrong. Don’t ignore those signs, though – they’re important! The smallest change in your feelings may be your brain’s way of telling you to take a break. Don’t be afraid to take some time for yourself, because you’ll feel so much better when you do!

HCXO, Lola

*All images courtesy of unsplash.com unless otherwise stated

Lola Itzhaki

Millersville '19

Lola is currently a senior at Millersville University studying Early Childhood Education and has a love for art, music, plants, and coffee. Writing is something she has always loved, as well as traveling. A major goal of hers is to travel the whole way around the Earth and experience the different cultures across the world.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3