spring flowers pink summer warm weather season color bloom beautiful trees flowers life happy bright fun outside outdoors calm
Jackie Ryan / Her Campus

Finding Balance Amid the Chaos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

My academic/overall life has been feeling a little crazy and chaotic lately, so I thought I would write about taking some time for yourself during the semester. Even when you have a growing list of assignments coming due soon, you’re trying to find a summer job or internship, or your work life balance has been a little less than balanced lately, it’s so important to take care of yourself. You matter, and so does your mental and physical health! If your school/work-life balance is something that you struggle with often, you are not alone. I’m right there with you, as are many other students!

It can be hard to keep up with everything that comes with being a college student but finding a support system can help a lot with this. Always make time to hang out with your friends and relax, even if it’s just a ten-minute phone call. I try to fit in time for my boyfriend, my family, and my friends often, so that when life is getting me down, I have great people to fall back on. This might sound cheesy, but the important people in your life truly can make your load feel lighter and your days feel better.

Another major stress reliever is going outside and getting some fresh air. Right now is the perfect time because some of the spring flowers are starting to come up! Go for a hike, take a walk, or even just study outside. If you can, move around a bit. You will feel physically better doing this, not only because of the vitamin D, but also because you are getting more blood flow and exposing your eyes to natural light which is way better than the light from your computer screen. You will also feel mentally better because you are changing your environment and taking time for yourself. Also, make sure you’re treating your body with kindness. Your body can only give back to you what you put into it, so try to eat healthy and get at least eight hours of sleep per night to really feel your best.

Aside from spending time with loved ones and taking care of yourself, you can also ease your burden by working on your time management skills. If you have many responsibilities but also want to balance those with fun activities, revisiting how you plan your day can be a huge help. When I first glance at my planner, I always feel like I have too much to do already and don’t have any time for the things I enjoy. But by cutting out some of my time wasters (scrolling on my phone, time spent sitting before classes start, etc.), I have found that I have way more time for doing more things that I love than I first thought! For example, in past semesters, I found myself having less and less time to read, which is something I love to do. To make good use of my time, I’ve started packing a book in my backpack, and now, whenever I have a couple of extra minutes, I read my book.

No matter what our schedules look like, we all need to make time for the things that count. Even though we have tons of assignments and other responsibilities that each feel incredibly pressing, I can promise that they’re not going to be on your mind one year from now. However, your mental and physical health and your loved ones will be. Also, if you’re interested in seeing how to turn your stress into a positive thing, check out this TED Talk. Remember, you can do hard things! I believe in you!

HCXO,

Autumn

Autumn Schmoel

Millersville '23

Hi! I'm Autumn, a senior at Millersville University majoring in business administration and minoring in entrepreneurship. I’m also the bonding coordinator for Millersville’s chapter of Her Campus. I love reading, writing, and crafting (you name it)!