10 Exercises You Don’t Need to go to the Gym For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

With the new year upon us, many of us had the same goal: to get in shape. As a college student, however, we have to admit that it’s hard to find time to sleep and eat with our schedules, let alone have time to work out. The gym on campus can also be a scary place too if you’ve never been there before, and it might be a workout in itself to walk there if you live far from the SMC. Here are 10 exercises that you can do in the comfort of your own dorm or apartment.

1. Lunges

Lunges are a great exercise for your thigh, butt and hamstring muscles. Simply place one foot forward out front your body, then bend your other knee directly behind you. Make sure to work both legs equally to get a better result.

2. Push-Ups

I think we all know from high school gym class how to do a push-up. This exercise will work out your pectoral muscles, triceps and deltoids.

3. Squats

Whenever I do squats, I always imagine myself going to sit down in a chair. You want to make sure that your knees are bent at 90 degrees, and your legs are 90 degrees to your torso as well. Squats will work your thighs, hips and butt.

4. Sit-Ups

Remember how we all had that fitness challenge in elementary school to see how many sit-ups we can do in one minute? Sit-ups are strictly for your ab muscles.

5. Jumping Jacks

Jumping Jacks are very self-explanatory to all of us.

6. Planks

Planks involve holding the same position for long periods of time. Generally it’s the front plank, where you’re in the push-up position on your elbows. Planks work your spine, rectus abs, transverse abs, traps, pecs, quads and your butt.

7. Crunches

Just like sit-ups, crunches work your ab muscles. But instead of having your feet on the ground, your legs are bent into a 90 degree position and you move your body slightly upwards. 

8. Bicycles

Bicycles are just like doing crunches, working your ab muscles, but just doing one leg at a time. This exercise will also help your hips.

9. Calf Raises

Stand straight up and simply start to stand on the tip of your foot. This can be done on one or both feet, and it works the soleus muscles in your lower leg.

10. Wall Sit

Find an empty wall in your room to do some wall sits. They are super simple; just act like you’re sitting in a chair that’s against the wall. Make sure your knees are bent 90 degrees and you’ll strengthen your quad muscles.

Do 10-12 reps three times for each of these exercises,

Jenna Moyer

Millersville

My name is Jenna Moyer, I'm 21 years old, and I am currently a junior at Millersville University where I'm an Early Childhood and Special Education major. I love kids and I have a 3 year old nephew, who also happens to be my godson! My favorite color is purple and lilies are my favorite flower. I am absolutely obsessed with the show Friends! I love going to concerts, even concerts where I have no idea who bands are, because that's how you get to know good music. My favorite band is Parachute. I love my friends, boyfriend, and family, and I would have no idea what I would do without them!
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3