This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

If you haven’t already noticed from the trend of my articles, I love self care and think it is extremely important to one’s physical and mental health. I’m the first person to admit that it’s very easy to let your self care slip away while in college, but this is the time where it matters most. Between the late nights out with little to no sleep, to studying for hours on end, our minds and bodies deserve a break. I know that when I don’t focus or prioritize selfcare, I end up burning out which causes me a lot of stress. It can be hard in college, to fit everything you want to do in a day, but what I have found is the importance of having a routine, and my favorite routine is definitely my Sunday one.

I love to treat Sundays as a self care, recharge day. Every Sunday, there are a couple things that add peace, relaxation, and productivity to my day and make me feel like I’m preparing myself for a great week! For starters, in the morning I want to wake myself up in a way that makes me happy. I like to fill up my Hydroflask (the best water bottle) with ice cold water, and pour myself a cup of cold brew (check out my last article for an amazing cold brew maker). Then, I want to take care of my hygiene. While sipping on my drinks, I take the time to care for my skin and teeth. I like to cleanse, tone, and apply serums and a moisturizer that will wake me up and make me feel fresh and ready for my day. I brush my teeth and occasionally do whitening strips just for a little extra care! 

As cliche as the concept is, I really have been trying to get into journaling, reading, and planning, and I really do love it. I recently got the “5 Minute Journal: A Happier You in Five Minutes a Day.” This is a great and quick way to take time to be appreciative and center yourself, radiating positive vibrations.

Five Minute Journal
Amazon

I also try to read for 10 minutes just to learn and improve a little more of myself. The two books I have been loving are “Why Men Love Bitches,” which teachers you how to be that amazing, confident, deserving woman that you are, and “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff,” which has really helped me control my stress and not get myself worked up about things that don’t actually matter. I highly recommend these books, especially being a college girl; sh*t can get tough sometimes! 

Don\'t Sweat the Small Stuff book
Amazon

Lastly, I’ve been loving planning out and writing down what I need to accomplish for that given day. I recently got a daily planner from the company “The Completist,” and they truly have such beautiful planners! This helps me relieve the pressure of trying to remember and think about everything I have to do. With a planner, I can focus on actually completing each task.

The completist website
The Completist

After centering myself and preparing for the day, it’s time to be productive! Sundays are a great time to do school work and get ready for the work week. Although this is the least enjoyable part for me, I really try to do 3-4 hours of work on Sundays. A way that makes it more enjoyable is doing work with friends! 

Another part of Self Care Sundays is eating. I believe Sunday is the perfect day to go grocery shopping. This way, you can prepare yourself with fresh food for the week and not have to constantly worry about each meal. Meal prepping on Sundays is a great way to make sure you are eating enough protein, carbs, and fats, and are fueling your body! 

After all the amazing work you’ve done, the best part is yet to come! Truly, the best part of Self Care Sunday is taking that relaxing, steamy shower. Take your time to cleanse and exfoliate your skin, and wash your hair thoroughly. After my Sunday shower, I love to put on my fluffy robe and face mask of choice, and just sit in bed and watch my favorite TV show for about 20 minutes. I truly feel so relaxed while doing this. Once I finally get myself up, I apply some self tanner, leaving my skin glowing, tan, and healthy! 

Lastly, if you have time, a great way to show yourself and others around you some love, is to cook a homemade dinner. Maybe even have a little mini feast with you and your roommates! I believe cooking is therapeutic, fun, and enjoyable, and it’s a great way to end your Sunday! 

From these tips, I hope you can find a Self Care Sunday routine that works for you and makes you feel happy, healthy, and productive!

Hi! My name is Nicole Katz and I am from Newton, Massachusetts. I am majoring in Media Management and minoring in marketing. I love everything skincare - packaging, product, reviews, and more! I am also very passionate in health and wellness, and love to learn more about our bodies and mind every day! I can't wait to share my knowledge, experience, and tips with the Her Campus community!