5 Ways to Work Through Every Day Anxiety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

Anxiety, better known as my every day companion. She wishes to protect me, so she calls on me during many moments of my day. And though I see her intention as fair, her lectures only stress me out more. You see, at the core of who we all are, we believe and know that there’s a version of ourselves that’s always calm, because when we are anything but calm, that’s exactly what we strive for. However, there’s something about school, work and life in general that seem to throw us off track and pull us further and further away from this version of ourselves. We’re upset that we didn’t get the grade we wanted, the raise we asked for or that things didn’t work out in a particular fashion. We’re upset that nothing is going as planned and as a result, things get chaotic. So what can we do when we find ourselves in these moments? Here are several ideas, and some of my personal practices, that allow me to work through every day anxiety.

1. Meditate.

I know for some this may seem a wee bit out there. I get it. When you hear the word meditate some may think of sitting cross-legged for over an hour while thinking of absolutely nothing. While this is one form of meditation, it’s not the only way. There are plenty of different ways to meditate! I personally like to pop in some headphones and look up binaural beats on YouTube. These are sounds and frequencies that are arranged in way to relax the mind. While listening to these sounds I’ll either let my mind wander or focus on my breath. Inhaling for 4 counts and exhaling for 8 counts is a wonderful way to get yourself in a relaxed state. 

2. Hydrate.

I cannot stress this enough. After drinking water, I find myself able to recalibrate and come back to center. When our bodies are dehydrated and experience stress, the stress is only magnified. By being hydrated, our bodies are able to function at a higher capacity and our minds clear up.

3. Listen to some of your favorite tunes. 

This is also a huge help for me. If I find myself stressed, sometimes I’ll need a relaxing and soothing song to bring me at ease. Other times I need a song to pump me up and let me know that I am unstoppable. Whatever your preference is, hone in on it and allow the sounds to move through you, ridding your body of anything that is no longer serving it.

4. Make a list of 20 things you love about your day/life so far. 

What is the purpose of this? Well, this simple exercise allows you to realize, “Hey, I’ve actually got some pretty great things going on in my life.” And when you recognize that your life is already filled with so much love and sunshine, you’ll come tor realize that whatever is stressing you will soon blow over. Focusing on the things you love and appreciate will only bring about more positive energy and therefore, more positive things to decorate your life with. Gratitude is the fastest attitude out of anxiety and into a state of calmness.

5. Call a friend or family member. 

Sometimes, we just need to vent and let out how we feel. With this friend or family member, discuss what’s bothering you. Venting alone will be enough to uplift you and get you to where you wish to be.

I pray these ideas  allow you to step into your personal power and let you know that you truly are unstoppable. Anxiety is something that affects many of us daily. I believe it is something that we can work through with great patience, self love and compassion. I like to look at my anxiety as a small child. She’s crying for help, love and attention in the best way she knows how. So rather than get angry with her, I hold her, breathe with her and whisper “My dearest love, everything is and will be just fine. Take in a deep breath with me and seek comfort in knowing that you are so loved and cared for. You are safe with me, because together, we can and will return to peace.” After these sentences, I’ll reach out my hand and together we voyage through what the rest of the day has in store.