Self-Confidence in College: Five Tips and Tricks to Make This Year Your Best Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

We all know college can, and will, test an individual in more ways than can ever be prepared for. It is incredibly difficult to maintain a sense of self-confidence and self-love when it seems as if you can never be good enough. Letting doubt take over means the beginning of a downhill struggle: comparing yourself to others, wanting to buy certain clothes because others have them, locking yourself inside to avoid others, avoiding eye contact, etc. Fortunately, there are many ways to make sure you do not fall victim to a lack of self-confidence.

1. Make time for yourself

Anytime you need a breather from reality and/or you feel yourself becoming more and more down, give yourself a much needed break. When this happens, I like to stay in instead of going out and pampering myself. I recommend using a hair masque, a face mask, painting your nails or even just picking a good show on Netflix.

2. Exercise

I know it is hard to start a regular workout regime if it is not a typical thing in your daily schedule already. But there is no better way to blow off steam and just got out of your head than a good workout. There are so many different options on campus so it’ll never be difficult to find your thing. For example, go for a run, do some yoga, hit up an exercise class with your friends or even just do some sit-ups in the morning.

3. Talk to someone

It is cliche but that is because it is accurate. I cannot stress it enough: but, it is okay to not be okay. Confide in a friend, call a family member, or even go see a counselor. It should never be embarrassing to take care of your mental health.

4. Make goals

Goals were made solely to be able to surpass them so you can pat yourself on the back. There is a special sense of accomplishment by crushing a list of goals. It does not matter the goal, anytime you are able to reward yourself, your confidence will soar. Look at a school schedule and make a list of things you want to accomplish, make fitness goals, make personal goals in terms of maybe volunteering in class or trying something new.

5. Keep yourself busy

Although this is the opposite of the first one, it is a positive to keep the mind engaged as much as possible. As humans, we are inclined to think too much when we are left alone or when we are not otherwise distracted. This is the time when we get down on ourselves and pick and pull at all of our flaws. The easiest way to avoid this is to stay busy–join a club or three, apply for an on-campus job, hang out with friends more, etc.

I am a freshman at Miami University and am studying Journalism and Political Science. Friends will tell you that I can quote Glee by heart and have been hopelessly devoted to Daniel Desario from Freaks and Geeks since middle school. Most likely I can be found around campus drinking Chai Lattes (or, Pumpkin Spice Lattes as soon as Fall hits) or sharing my Spotify playlists with anyone who asks.
Carrie Shaheen

Miami (OH) '19

Miami University President/Writer