This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

We all think about sex. But have you ever stopped to think about the potential health benefits of doing the dirty deed? Sometimes we get caught up in other aspects of our sex lives and completely disregard that “getting in the mood” does wonders for our physical and mental health. Take a look at some wonderful health benefits of having a good sex life, and you’ll start to see sex in a whole new light.

1. Sex Boosts Immunity

Having sex once or twice a week has been linked with higher levels of an antibody called immunoglobin A, which can protect you from colds or other common infections.

2. Sex Burns Calories!

Sex is a great form of exercise that most people participate in and don’t even realize they are getting a work out. Let’s be honest: we’d all prefer an awesome quickie over a trip to the gym. Thirty minutes of sex can burn up to 85 calories, sometimes more! So you do the math!

3. Better Self-Esteem

A study at the University of Texas found that “boosting self-esteem” is one of the 237 known reasons that people have sex. Experts say that great sex is correlated with a healthy self-esteem. Therefore, if sex is loving, connected, and the way you want it, it will raise your self- esteem even higher. It is important to note that you don’t have to have sex to feel good about yourself! Having self-confidence is all about you and should not revolve around a relationship or another person. But if you have a good outlook on yourself, a good sex life can contribute to making you feel that much better.

4. Sex Improves Cardiovascular Health

Women who have more sex tend to have higher levels of estrogen, which can protect against heart disease.

5. Sex Helps You Sleep Better

According to researchers, the hormone oxytocin is released during orgasm and serves many roles in sexual reproduction, and it also helps in the process of falling asleep. Oxytocin evokes feelings of contentment, reduces anxiety, and creates feelings of calmness and security around your partner.

6. Sex Can Reduce Pain

As oxytocin is released, endorphins increase within the body and thus pain is decreased. This is the reason why headaches, body aches, or common PMS pains seem to decrease after sex. Thank the oxytocin, ladies.

7. Sex Fights Against the Onslaught ofAging

A good sex life is a key to youthful looks, according to a study of 3,500 people age 18 to 102 conducted by the Royal Edinburgh Hospital in Scotland. Researchers attributed this to reductions in stress, greater contentment, and better sleep, all of which are also associated with sexual activity.

Sources:

Hannah Harp

Miami (OH)

Hannah Harp is a senior studying Journalism and Psychology at Miami University. She is a co-editor, contributing writer, and photoblogger for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.