kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Workout Moves You Can Do In Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

With summer break and warm weather right around the corner, many of us are feeling new waves of motivation to shape up and look great in a new summer wardrobe. The only problem is, we’re busy college students, and especially now with final exams, papers and projects, it sometimes makes getting to the Rec Center difficult. Luckily, we’ve got some moves you can do right in your dorm room to tighten and tone that bikini body.

Here are six of our favorites, demonstrated by fitness instructor Nikki Heffron:

1. SquatsBecause if you didn’t do squats, did you even work out? Squats are the perfect way to tone up your legs and get the bum of your dreams, while also working your core. But it’s important to do them correctly to avoid injury.

How to: To squat your way to a better butt, stand with your feet slightly wider than hip width apart, toes pointed slightly outward. Keep your head forward and chest up while keeping a straight back— never arch or curve your back. With your knees slightly bent, hinge at your hips and throw your butt back as you lower into a squat position, which is traditionally until your thighs are parallel to the floor. Remember to keep your weight in the heels of your feet and not your toes. It’s also important to not let your knees extend past your toes!

If weightless squats are too easy, try holding some free weights in each hand as you lower. Don’t have any weights? Hold a heavy textbook at chin level as you squat. (See, that book is good for something after all!)

2. Russian TwistsThis is a full on abdominal routine that works your obliques, rectus abdominis and transverse abdominis.

How to: Get into sit-up position with your knees bent and heels on the floor. Then, lean back until you feel your abs kicking in. Next, with your hands together or on top of one another, twist your torso to the left as you tap the floor. Then twist to the right and touch the floor. Continue twisting to each side to really work those abs.

“Russian twists are great because they hit the love handles which are usually a trouble area for girls,” Nikki says.

If that seems too easy, try the same move with your legs in the air and holding a small weight or a heavy textbook as you twist.  

3. Tricep DipsThis is the perfect move to tone triceps and fight “bat wings” without any weights! Plus, it can easily be modified for different ranges of intensity.

How To: Sit on the edge of a chair or your bed with your hands next to your hips and legs straight out in front of you. When ready, lower your butt off of the chair until you reach a 90 degree angle with your elbows. Then raise yourself back up and repeat. (Remember not to lock out your elbows completely to avoid injury.)

If you find this move too hard try bending your knees a little or doing the move without the chair and putting your hands on the ground. For more of a challenge, prop your feet onto another chair or stability ball.  (Health.com likes this move so much they even recommend doing them every time you pass a park bench while jogging!)

4. SupermanThis move is great for keeping your back strong while also working your glutes.

How to: Lie face down with your arms stretched out ahead of you. Then, raise your legs and arms into the air, squeezing your glutes. Hold for five seconds, then lower back down and repeat.

5. Dead Bug This is great for working the transverse abdominis, according to Self magazine.

How To: Lie face up with arms and legs extended toward the ceiling. Slowly lower right arm and left leg until they hover above the floor. Return to start and switch sides. Continue alternating sides.

6. Spider PlankWe all know how to do a basic plank, so why not take it up a notch and do the spider plank? This move works the transverse abdominis, shoulders, chest, internal and external obliques and back.

How to: Start in a plank position, with your hands under your shoulders. Then bring your right knee to your right elbow. Return to plank. Repeat the motion on the left side and continue alternating sides.

Abigail Bates is an assistant editor for Her Campus Miami (OH). She's a senior, journalism and French double major with a passion for writing, travel and all things fashion. She is also a member of Miami's UP fashion magazine and can often be found steaming the milk for your latte as a barista at Dividend$. 
Ellie Conley

Miami (OH)

Ellie Conley is a senior at Miami University. She is the current Editor-In-Chief and the former Publicity Coordinator for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.