This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

The air has become uncomfortably cold and when I’m finished with my class that ends at 3:15, the sun is preparing to set. Many people adore the fall and winter for obvious reasons, such as the weather cooling off, all things pumpkin spice, and the holidays that these months ensue. On the flip side of these positive aspects, there are countless people who do not enjoy this time of year, and instead dread its arrival. Whether it is due to seasonal depression, the stress of the holidays, or just hating the frigid temperatures, some people simply do not like these months. I am one of those people, and I get it! Now that it is December, the end is near, and the fall semester is coming to a close. This can be an extremely exciting time because a much-needed winter break is on the horizon. However, before winter break and the spring semester can begin, there is one last task that needs to be completed – finals. The battle between students attending class, completing their work for classes, and preparing for finals is a clear struggle across the board. 

It is completely normal for students to be facing adversities and feel reluctant to complete any tasks that are associated with school or work. It can be a battle to do anything that does not consist of rotting away in bed all day scrolling on TikTok for what seems like forever. College culture can be an extremely competitive space where students, even subconsciously, compare themselves to those around them. Feeling burnt out and lacking any motivation can heighten these comparisons. It is challenging to be productive when you are burnt out, exhausted, and overworked. Sometimes, it can feel like other people are more productive than us and this can lead to unhealthy comparisons. Everyone wants to achieve their goals and feel proud of themselves. This can become difficult when people feel as if they are not doing enough to reach the level of success that they desire. 

People under intense pressure and stress tend to display behaviors that they typically would not. Unfortunately, this can mean taking out displaced emotions on others that have nothing to do with the stress occurring. Our actions do impact others, directly or indirectly, negatively or positively. Interactions with others create chain reactions that affect the way that the world operates and progresses. 

This is why it is so important to not place every ounce of our energy into the finals that are going to be unfolding shortly. I know, it is easier said than done, but finals are not the end all be all. Finals and classes can always be retaken, but mental health and relationships can not always be so easily repaired. Just because it is finals time does not mean that we have to live a life of misery in preparation and during finals. Your value does not increase or decrease depending on what grades you receive. 

Whether you receive an A or an F on your finals, you are still a beautiful, amazing, smart person. Please prioritize your mental and physical health during this challenging, stressful time. It is essential to be getting enough sleep, food, and hydration, and prioritize time to do other things. Also, make sure to take breaks from studying and do the things that you actually enjoy. make sure to not compare yourself to others. Everyone in life is on their own journey and fighting battles that no one else is aware of. Your path is not the same as anyone else, everyone has different life circumstances and experiences varying from person to person. Please remember to be kind to yourself and that you are enough. Finals will be over soon enough and then we will have a much-needed break. You got this!

Mia Burroso

Merrimack '26

Hi my name is Mia, and I’m a sophomore. I am majoring in communication and media. After graduating, I plan on going into professional sports media. In my free time, I enjoy hanging out with friends, going to the beach, attending sports games or concerts.