Wellness

The Uncomfortable Truth About Fad Diets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

I first became conscious of my weight when I was 11 years old. I remember consistently comparing myself to others and believing that I wasn’t thin enough by society’s standards. I researched weight loss tips and began depriving my body of essential food groups, all while consuming myself with thoughts of staying thin enough to fit into my Abercrombie & Fitch jeans. While this particular diet only lasted a few weeks, my health journey is an ongoing issue that I have been fighting over the years, experimenting with all sorts of fad diets just to try finding ‘the one’ that would give me inner confidence. 

So, what is a fad diet? Simply put, fad diets promote drastic weight loss despite the negative effect it may have on your health. They encourage replacing particular food groups, such as carbs, with ‘healthier’ alternatives to see quick results. Popular forms of these diets include pills and laxatives, appetite suppressants, apple cider vinegar regimens, keto, and various others that are both poorly researched and ineffective regimens. 

One of the most prominent issues with fad dieting is their lack of sustainability. Eliminating certain foods from your diet can quickly result in nutritional deficiencies, making it challenging to last more than a few days or weeks. This can lead to guilt- or over-eating, which may in turn lead to more dieting – ultimately, a vicious cycle. Most fad diets will cause extreme fluctuations in weight, where you shed off some weight for a short period of time but gain it all back once the diet is complete. Other symptoms of these diets include dehydration, nausea, headaches, fatigue and the increasing risk of developing illnesses such as cardiovascular disease. 

Now you might be wondering, how can I lose weight quickly in a safe and manageable way? The truth is, weight loss and maintaining your progress isn’t an easy process and there is no ‘quick fix’. If done safely, it’ll take time to produce effective results. Starting your health journey starts with making small, manageable changes – here are six changes I’ve made in my life for my own journey: 

1. Have a positive mindset 

Start by removing the word ‘diet’ from your vocabulary and instead, treat this as your journey toward a healthier lifestyle. Try to remember that meals should be pleasurable rather than depriving your body of the nutrients it needs. 

2. Don’t skip meals!

Remember to eat regularly throughout the day and not deny your body from food. Skipping meals will only make you hungrier throughout the day and you’ll end up overeating by the end of the night. 

3. Drink water

While this may seem like a no-brainer, I can’t begin to count all of the times I’ve forgotten to drink enough water. Staying hydrated will encourage weight loss as it keeps you fuller for longer and can boost your metabolism. I try to drink at least one litre of water a day, but this amount varies for everybody and is different depending on the day. 

4. Exercise 

By no means are you expected to go to the gym every single day for hours on end, but it is important to include some form of exercise on a day-to-day basis. Some examples include going on a 30-minute walk/jog or finding workout plans online. To make this process more enjoyable, try to find a partner to join you for that extra boost of motivation!

5. Pay attention to the nutritional facts in your food 

Contrary to popular assumptions, paying attention to what you’re eating doesn’t mean counting every calorie that goes into your body on a daily basis. Instead, I encourage you to be aware of what you’re consuming if you have a weight loss goal in mind. 

6. Intermittent fasting 

I’ve been intermittent fasting for several months now, and I find myself less hungry throughout the day and less bloated by the end of the night. Intermittent fasting is a slow process for me, however it’s the most effective method of weight loss that I’ve tried out. I fuel my body with all the food groups needed to remain healthy, yet I ensure that I’m not overeating. 

This isn’t to say that all fad diets are bad for you, however it’s important to research and investigate if these diets are safe in the long-term. At the end of the day, it’s crucial that you feed your body with what makes you feel good both mentally and physically. You might enjoy eating a nutrient-packed salad, but some days you can’t stop thinking about that cheesy pizza, and that’s okay! Never deprive your body of what makes you happy! 

Aya Shbeeb

McMaster '23

Aya is a second year student at McMaster University pursuing a major in Sociology. She looks forward to sharing her passion for writing amongst her peers through a variety of topics and prevalent societal issues. Outside of school, you can find Aya baking a new dessert of the day!